hearing loss

My hearing has sucked for years, but now its worse. I took my daughter to a shooting range 28 days ago. I forgot my nice headphone-style protectors at home, so I bought some earplugs at walmart when I got ammo. we were shooting 9mm. the earplugs handled it well. when the rangemaster called ceasefire we would take out the earplugs and go check our marksmanship. after about the 3rd time, they weren't as snug. a guy arrived with a 50 caliber desert eagle 2 lanes down from us. the range was outdoor, but had overhead and back cover. when he would fire, it felt like needles were poking my eardrums. I already have tinnitus 24/7, but I this was tinnitus on crack. It eased up a little over a few days. then about a week ago my ears, particularly the left, have begun hurting. smile and nod only works some of the time, especially at work. I really don't want a disabled label.

Note to self: When someone shows up and starts to cap off 50 cal rounds ::: get the hell away from him.

The concussion effect from bouncing off the roof magnifies the shock wave to your ear canals

My wife & I both shoot 9mm & .380. We wear foam insert plugs when we get out of the truck , and put top quality headphones over them when near the line or shooting.

I did a review of noise levels in various ambulances at various speeds. Many were over the 85db mark. I'm working with an audiologist to develop a 5 year study on hearing loss for EMS in urban and rural settings.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.