Houston is trying something new.

paramedicmike

dunno, but I am curious to know what the findings will be. Maybe I'm jaded or burnt out, but most of those nonsense calls are milk runs. Drop them off in triage and knock out the report in nothing flat. Still do a complete assessment. I've found several undiagnosed diabetics that way.

the only thing that is going to do is keep a few percent of them out of the ER's. The ambulance & fire crews will still need to respond and set up their telehealth system so the Doc in the box can interview them. While all this is going on , you have a crew sitting on scene watching and twiddling their thumbs, out of service and on the clock. From the sounds of this they will have to send someone along to guard the ambulances while this process is happening in the hood.

I din't see how this is going to save them time or money. The Dr's they hire will have to ERR on the side of caution, lest they make a mistake and the city gets sued, so a lot of the same folks are going to end up in the ER anyway after a long delay on scene.

easier & faster to tag & drag em & drop them at the ER.

Yes I know this is not what practicing prehospital medicine is all about. But to those who work in these environments and get abused on a regular basis it is.

I can't really argue most of your points Island but I have heard that as far as the liability on the doc, they have been given soverign immunity. I don't know how true that is but I think it would be necessary if they want the program to succeed.

We had some of these issues when we were insured through the towns insurance carrier. Maine Municipal claimed that we only needed $300,000 liability as that is what the State tort claims act limits are.

In todays society that won't even pay the lawyer bills if you get into litigation .

Our department along with two others joined together and purchased insurance coverage package under VFIS that provided us with 1 million Liability, 1 million medical malpractice, and full replacement value coverage for our apparatus at a cost less than we were paying through the towns carrier.

Personally I carry a million dollar liability rider coverage package to protect me and my home & possessions. Cost is around $600.00 per year

The way I understand it (and I very well could be wrong) is that the docs are considered govt employees and with sovereign immunity and therefore, the govt can decide if they can be sued or not.

That makes it even worse.

Thats why I carry my own liability insurance. Because if god forbid something happened and exposure was out there, You can bet the company/city and their insurance carrier are going to look to hang the blame on someone. I don't expect their insurance carrier to have MY best interest at hand.

Yep: I can see it now: : : : family decides to sue : : : City decides to throw the Doc in the box or the EMS crew under the bus to expedite the process and cut their losses.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.