Safety Certifications

paraloco

I'm eligible to retire and want to start another career in industrial/offshore/overseas health/safety. Anyone in here able to give advice and/or guidance? ie. places to go or avoid for training. Online osha classes vs. trade school setting. I know getting the really good jobs depends on who you know, but I have to start somewhere, get something to work with. I've seen online classes for 200 dollars. I can go sit in a classroom for a week, pay 1800, and walk out with a C.O.S.S. cert. what's better?

I'm a little confused as to what job title you are hoping to get hired for????

An industrial safety engineer position or a generalized health officer working in remote settings?

There are medics working in the oil patch and offshore that have an expanded scope and generally are the sole source responder in these settings. They also do hearing testing , general physicals and drug / alcohol testing, among other duties.

All depends on what you are looking to do in your new career.

30 hours in front of a computer screen for a class, versus 30 hours worth of classroom time? I think it would balance out, if allowing the student to take the 30 hours at the student's convenience. Also, no time spent commuting, or the costs of that commuting.

However, telecommuting can be lonely.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll stick with the classroom training. Taking courses online are a good cure for insomnia (at least for me).