Student-to-be

SwampMusic

I suppose you are right about the Fire and EMS differences. Because on the fire side when you give someone your word, you keep it. You shouldn't have to be questioned about it multiple times. If you fail at keeping your word up, then no one will trust you for quite awhile. I grew up keeping my word and rarely ever questioned again.

As I mentioned, the information you provided changed as your posts progressed. That's fine if you expect to be taken at face value. Just don't change your answers.

Respect, as you know from the fire service, is earned and not given. You don't walk into a new house and expect the same level of respect you would elsewhere because the guys in the new house don't know you.

You want to be respected? Earn it.

Name calling goes two ways. I am pretty sure I wasn't the only one on here throwing out names (that's going towards the person that called me an arse). So you (clearly know who you are) can take note on that with the professional statement. You don't call your patients an arse that piss you off or don't agree with you, do you? Surely hope not.

So you sink to their level? Seriously?

Think about that for a while.

Also in the fire service respect is completely a two way street.

This has already been addressed.

I started out nice and understanding, but when you start slamming me is when the attitude is going to change.

As has this.

And if you especially start to get vulgar with me, I will get vulgar right back with you.

As has this.

I'll admit I am being antagonistic. I won't admit I am the only one acting that way. Badmouthing a place after already being badmouthed by a user isn't going to make me any friends to start with. So why not badmouth something else off? Will it make things any better? Nah. Saying something positive probably won't help either. So I don't really see how that matters.

So you think being the better person is a bad thing?

Again, you want respect you need to earn it. The same goes for those interacting with you. If they don't earn it then that's on them. It does NOT, however, mean you stoop to their level of immaturity or idiocy. Do what you did here in real life on the job and you'll lose your job.

I'm young, i'd like a good paying job to help me get started in life. If I can get a good paying job doing both things I have strong interests in, why not? Salary is half of it. The other half is dedication and willingness to do the best you can in the professions.

Sorry, friend. Despite the news stories of teenage internet bazillionares most jobs, for most high school grads, start low and you need to work hard to earn those raises. It has always been this way. It'll always be this way.

Claiming this is the best site, and you have better users is a bit bias, no?

Nowhere did I say this was the best site. I said you won't find one better. There's a difference. I've been around. I've been a regular on multiple sites. As have a lot of the regular posters here. There's a reason we choose here.

The rest of your comments have already been addressed.

I want to be an EMT, and I wish to also be a firefighter. I'd love to find employment as both professionals, and yes the pay is greater (good for someone starting out in life) and I will proceed with those plans.

Pay is even greater for someone who goes to college and gets a degree. Why not proceed with those plans?

Well youngun: I was a dual hatter for many years and the fire service is MUCH harder than what you received here tonight.

If you think we busted your chops then you have NO idea of what to expect in the fire service.

Walk into a firehouse with the disrespect and attitude you have shown here and your application won't even be read. They will eat you alive and spit the carcass to the curb.

I have sat on hiring boards many time in the fire service, We can smell attitude a mile away and those apps generally get the three minute interview before tossing in the round file.

Respect needs to be earned and before that you need to conform to the needs of the service and the mission.

As I mentioned, the information you provided changed as your posts progressed. That's fine if you expect to be taken at face value. Just don't change your answers.

Respect, as you know from the fire service, is earned and not given. You don't walk into a new house and expect the same level of respect you would elsewhere because the guys in the new house don't know you.

You want to be respected? Earn it.

So you sink to their level? Seriously?

Think about that for a while.

This has already been addressed.

As has this.

As has this.

So you think being the better person is a bad thing?

Again, you want respect you need to earn it. The same goes for those interacting with you. If they don't earn it then that's on them. It does NOT, however, mean you stoop to their level of immaturity or idiocy. Do what you did here in real life on the job and you'll lose your job.

Sorry, friend. Despite the news stories of teenage internet bazillionares most jobs, for most high school grads, start low and you need to work hard to earn those raises. It has always been this way. It'll always be this way.

Nowhere did I say this was the best site. I said you won't find one better. There's a difference. I've been around. I've been a regular on multiple sites. As have a lot of the regular posters here. There's a reason we choose here.

The rest of your comments have already been addressed.

Pay is even greater for someone who goes to college and gets a degree. Why not proceed with those plans?

I added more details to my posts to try and become my clear. I didn't mean to sound like I was changing it up.

You work for respect from respectable people. I have yet to see much to respect on here, getting there, but still going to defend myself in the meantime. Sure as hell ain't going to let someone call me an arse, then turn around and respect them lol. I think that also covers the sinking to their level part.

What happened here and how it can make me lose my job in real life is a valid point. Luckily (unlike the person throwing around the other comments) I am not yet employed as an EMT. I am not even employed as a firefighter, I am just a volunteer. The scary part is the one that is employed as an EMT and stooping to that low of a level with me. I wonder how well he actually handles stress in real life situations.

I am not saying it's an amazing salary, or that I am trying to become rich off of becoming a Firefighter/EMT. If I wanted to become rich I'd pursue my other dreams of becoming a CRNA. But I rather stick with Firefighter/EMT for awhile. It's a better pay to help me get my feet off the ground. It's definitely more better than the $8.00 an hour my other friends are making working the midnight drive-thru.

I might attend college later in the future and go for nursing. I want to take everything one step at a time and gain real life experience. Those plans aren't even official yet.

Well youngun: I was a dual hatter for many years and the fire service is MUCH harder than what you received here tonight.

If you think we busted your chops then you have NO idea of what to expect in the fire service.

Walk into a firehouse with the disrespect and attitude you have shown here and your application won't even be read. They will eat you alive and spit the carcass to the curb.

I have sat on hiring boards many time in the fire service, We can smell attitude a mile away and those apps generally get the three minute interview before tossing in the round file.

Respect needs to be earned and before that you need to conform to the needs of the service and the mission.

I have fire house experience. The main difference between a vollie and a career firefighter is the pay lol. Both of those routes are professional (depending on their training of course, I've seen some scary vollie departments, same with paid). I know the fire department respect and I grew up in the firefighter world. I believe I said something about that earlier as well. I have seen new members come and go (or kicked out) in our department simply because they didn't like it or didn't follow the rules. I have even had beefs with some guys, but that's all over too.

I hate to get into this pissing contest, but dude, seriously? There is a large difference between being called an arse and being called a cunt.

To quote: "Please take your skinny little arse back to high school and that other website full of wankers wackers and spankers". He basically called me an ass, which is a pretty vulgar word, which so is the word cunt. He also called members of another site wanker wackers and spankers, which are also EMT's. Calling him a cunt was pretty justified in my mind. Could have taken the mature route and left then, but I don't bail out that easily. Not trying to start anything else.

What happened here and how it can make me lose my job in real life is a valid point. Luckily (unlike the person throwing around the other comments) I am not yet employed as an EMT. I am not even employed as a firefighter, I am just a volunteer. The scary part is the one that is employed as an EMT and stooping to that low of a level with me. I wonder how well he actually handles stress in real life situations.

Since I can't figure out who you are talking about in your parenthesis, you will have to actually refer to who you are speaking to by their name. We don't do a lot of hinting around here. We all happen to be adults in this particular forum and if we have a problem with something another member has said, we are pretty direct and just use their names.

Since I can't figure out who you are talking about in your parenthesis, you will have to actually refer to who you are speaking to by their name. We don't do a lot of hinting around here. We all happen to be adults in this particular forum and if we have a problem with something another member has said, we are pretty direct and just use their names.

Island EMT.

Couldn't remember the username at the time.

Since it would appear that your reading skills & comprehension are also lacking along with your social skills,

I did not call YOU AN ASS.

I told you to take your skinny little arse

[ as in a part of your anatomy]

back to that other website where you will find someone more than willing to blow smoke up your arse about how much a hero you can be.

That site is known around the world wide web as the home of the whacker. If you were really interested in knowledge you would not find much there other than how to pimp your ride.

It's really sad that children today think they can shock us with foul language . If you pulled that in front of your mother she'd bitch slap you and wash your mouth out with soap.

Next time you decide to get your panties in a bunch as least know what you are whining about.

Edited by island emt

Thank you for clarifying that. As I said, we are adults here and yes, you will find the occasional threads with disagreements, but 90% of the time, the disagreements themselves are pretty much hashed out with a degree of respect for each other.

Not that I need to defend him, but Island is now retired and has the respect of many of us who are members here. You may have just pissed him off a tad by slamming the inhabitants of EMT City, which in turn led to his reply back to you. But don't let one post from someone you have never met, and from someone whom had only been respectable to you prior to that, allow you to make an uninformed decision as to his character or reputation.

I on the other hand can be a real bitch.

Although I am not able to visit the site as much now as I could in the past, I have always thought of EMT City to be a gathering place of varied individuals who in their own right, have done, or are doing things in their careers that not only further themselves professionally, but they are also very conscientious about the "image of EMS." Many of us are continually striving for higher educational standards and more cohesiveness of learning objectives and training standards across the board for all EMS providers in the United States with training institutes and colleges or technical colleges that are striving to actually 'educate' their students rather than just "turn out more providers". With your fourth or fifth post, I really don't care to re read any of them to find it, you pretty much just tossed everyone into one bowl and threw insults in on top but I am willing to give you the benefit of the doubt and just consider it to be a rant out of frustration and move on from it.

I apologize if I took your questions and comments in the wrong context, I saw some concerning statements (by the way they were worded) and I called you out on them. Since you said I interpreted them wrong, I will accept that I was the one in error and go on from there. But I will admit that you didn't gain any respect from me by tossing out some pretty vulgar statements and words.....

If you do get into EMS you will find that it can be one of the most rewarding, but most stressful careers you will ever have, regardless of the pay you make......

P.S....I had to check out EMT Life for a bit this evening and found it kind of funny that one of their threads that had a picture of the upper half of a torso in which they were trying to figure out what the holes in it were from had been labeled as if it was the abdomen and thigh.....last time I checked, knee's didn't have armpit hair.....

Edited by ClutzyEMT

Since it would appear that your reading skills & comprehension are also lacking along with your social skills,

I did not call YOU AN ASS.

I told you to take your skinny little arse

[ as in a part of your anatomy]

back to that other website where you will find someone more than willing to blow smoke up your arse about how much a hero you can be.

That site is known around the world wide web as the home of the whacker. If you were really interested in knowledge you would not find much there other than how to pimp your ride.

It's really sad that children today think they can shock us with foul language . If you pulled that in front of your mother she'd bitch slap you and wash your mouth out with soap.

Next time you decide to get your panties in a bunch as least know what you are whining about.

At least I don't get my panties in a bunch over a silly website, calm yourself. Finding out you are retired and how much time you have on your hands explains everything to me. Hang in there "chief". ;) I also do not know when your last English course was, but arse is another word for ass or an anus.

Thank you for clarifying that. As I said, we are adults here and yes, you will find the occasional threads with disagreements, but 90% of the time, the disagreements themselves are pretty much hashed out with a degree of respect for each other.

Not that I need to defend him, but Island is now retired and has the respect of many of us who are members here. You may have just pissed him off a tad by slamming the inhabitants of EMT City, which in turn led to his reply back to you. But don't let one post from someone you have never met, and from someone whom had only been respectable to you prior to that, allow you to make an uninformed decision as to his character or reputation.

I on the other hand can be a real bitch.

Although I am not able to visit the site as much now as I could in the past, I have always thought of EMT City to be a gathering place of varied individuals who in their own right, have done, or are doing things in their careers that not only further themselves professionally, but they are also very conscientious about the "image of EMS." Many of us are continually striving for higher educational standards and more cohesiveness of learning objectives and training standards across the board for all EMS providers in the United States with training institutes and colleges or technical colleges that are striving to actually 'educate' their students rather than just "turn out more providers". With your fourth or fifth post, I really don't care to re read any of them to find it, you pretty much just tossed everyone into one bowl and threw insults in on top but I am willing to give you the benefit of the doubt and just consider it to be a rant out of frustration and move on from it.

I apologize if I took your questions and comments in the wrong context, I saw some concerning statements (by the way they were worded) and I called you out on them. Since you said I interpreted them wrong, I will accept that I was the one in error and go on from there. But I will admit that you didn't gain any respect from me by tossing out some pretty vulgar statements and words.....

If you do get into EMS you will find that it can be one of the most rewarding, but most stressful careers you will ever have, regardless of the pay you make......

Wasn't here to gain respect from anyone lol. I do understand the concept of gaining respect for others, but as I said earlier, I will work for the respect of those who I find respectable. Someone that has such a short temper is not worth it. I was here to ask some questions, which some people took wrongly, I took their responses wrongly, and then we're here.

That's the end of this horror story of a book.

Edited by SwampMusic