Student-to-be

SwampMusic

I'm sorry but I don't think you can reach this person. Yeah I'm gonna be the asshole here but seriously,

If grandma brown down the street has a cardiac emergency we activate the paramedics. I am sure somewhere in the EMS training we will cover it. If not, then I'll go ahead and see if they offer a CEU for cardiac emergencies or not. If that makes you feel any better lol. I'm not just going to let a patient suffer. I will do everything in my abilities to assist them.

So if you don't cover cardiac emergencies are you going to wait until you get Grandma down the street in a cardiac emergency and then take a class or are you going to take the CEU prior to it?

Your answers are all over the board.

And Yes someone is paying for this class, be it with tax dollars(yes you are paying for the class if you pay taxes) or with grant money(and that comes from Taxes a lot of times) or whatever and damnit, if you aren't fully vested in passing in the 90% then save the taxpayer/grant giver the money and don't take this class.

The only person who you should be worried about passing this course is YOU and you alone. Don't worry about your fellow classmates, you need to worry about passing this class. Who cares if it's free or if it's a million dollars, the time and effort that you put in this class should be the same.

And I do completely believe that all you are taking this class for is to make yourself look good to a fire department to become a fire fighter.

But you will of course find fault in all that I wrote and that's ok as well.

• Like 2

Dangit Ruffmeister......If I had known that I could buy a paramedic online for $88.99 I would have done it a damn long time ago.... :punk:

I'm tossing in my hat on this one and going for a beer.............. :rolleyes2: Just makes me glad that Fire and EMS are still fairly independent of each other here.............

I'm sorry but I don't think you can reach this person. Yeah I'm gonna be the asshole here but seriously,

If grandma brown down the street has a cardiac emergency we activate the paramedics. I am sure somewhere in the EMS training we will cover it. If not, then I'll go ahead and see if they offer a CEU for cardiac emergencies or not. If that makes you feel any better lol. I'm not just going to let a patient suffer. I will do everything in my abilities to assist them.

So if you don't cover cardiac emergencies are you going to wait until you get Grandma down the street in a cardiac emergency and then take a class or are you going to take the CEU prior to it?

Your answers are all over the board.

And Yes someone is paying for this class, be it with tax dollars(yes you are paying for the class if you pay taxes) or with grant money(and that comes from Taxes a lot of times) or whatever and damnit, if you aren't fully vested in passing in the 90% then save the taxpayer/grant giver the money and don't take this class.

The only person who you should be worried about passing this course is YOU and you alone. Don't worry about your fellow classmates, you need to worry about passing this class. Who cares if it's free or if it's a million dollars, the time and effort that you put in this class should be the same.

And I do completely believe that all you are taking this class for is to make yourself look good to a fire department to become a fire fighter.

But you will of course find fault in all that I wrote and that's ok as well.

You're going to be the asshole? Sure everyone else here isn't? Lmao! Narrow minded people. EMT Life outranks this forum.

All you people do is take things out of context so you can slam someone for it. Your answers also don't change. I said many times I am not just doing the EMT program to become a paid firefighter, yet you still think that (narrow minded). I think half of you are also upset you had to pay for your training. That's too sad. Also the fact the firefighter/EMT salary is more starting out than just a regular EMT. In my state a starting out EMT makes about $13.50 an hour, Firefigher/EMT makes $17.00 an hour. Most regular EMTs have to work 2-3 years (maybe more) with the same agency to get that salary.

No wonder why you have such a small user interface.

Good day.

Please take your skinny little arse back to high school and that other website full of wankers wackers and spankers where they will tell you the BS you think you want to hear.

They will even tell you it's ok to have more flashing lights on your car than an ambulance.

YOU came here asking for advice and were given said advice from folks with many decades in this profession. Some of us were working in EMS before your parents were out of grade school .

The fact that you chose not to listen to the advice you asked for is not our problem.

Edited by island emt

Please take your skinny little arse back to high school and that other website full of wankers wankers and spankers where they will tell you the BS you think you want to hear.

They will even tell you it's ok to have more flashing lights on your car than an ambulance.

YOU came here asking for advice and were given said advice from folks with many decades in this profession. Some of us were working in EMS before your parents were out of grade school .

The fact that you chose not to listen to the advice you asked for is not our problem.

I came here for advice, didn't get any. Just got a bunch of bullshit from cunts such as yourself. Fucking EMTs full of themselves. Hope you never need my help one day, i'll let your sorry excuse for a human being rot.

I started out nice, and could stay nice. BUT if you wanna act like an arrogant cunt, I am going to also act like one. It's a two way street.

I think you're just jealous that I am going to get a better salary, and also jealous of other forums that are more popular and more well-enjoyed, unlike this pathetic excuse for one.

God I can't believe any of you are EMT's. I feel bad for all your patients. Rather die than have to deal with you morons. No wonder why they talk shit about you guys on EMT Life.

Edited by SwampMusic

Ok sweet cheeks Here is what you want to hear

Go take the two week wonder course because it's free.

Doesn't matter if you pass because your not paying for it.

Then you can become a hero FF/emt and pat yourself all over for saving lives.

There : does that make you happy??

This is a place where mere professionals hang out so you will want to go somewhere that they ALL think they are hero's and not afraid to tell each other so.

Ok sweet cheeks Here is what you want to hear

Go take the two week wonder course because it's free.

Doesn't matter if you pass because your not paying for it.

Then you can become a hero FF/emt and pat yourself all over for saving lives.

There : does that make you happy??

This is a place where mere professionals hang out so you will want to go somewhere that they ALL think they are hero's and not afraid to tell each other so.

Thanks and I will. (sarcasm)

See, did you really have to be a jerk about it to start with? Nope. I am not a business major, not even a business minor, nor have I ever stepped foot in a business school; but I am pretty sure slamming someone right off the bat isn't good for business. Clearly the moderators even have problems. You have any admins that even run around this site?

The problem I had with you people is you kept claiming something that I wasn't planning on doing. You people think I am doing the program to find a job as a firefighter and I really don't care about the EMS side. I stated several times I did want to become an EMT and help people and I was going to work hard at it. But nope, that wasn't clear enough for you people. I grew up in a family of firefighters (couple were paid medic/firefighers) and I want to be able to help people on both sides. I find firefighting (because it's traditional in my family) and EMS (because I want to learn new things, yet help people at the same time) equally interesting. I know everyone in EMS aren't all jerks. The EMT's in my department are nice as can be, and so are the ones with other agencies I did ride-a-longs with. So clearly just must be your forum.

Also your people just pick something to slam you with, and don't ever drop it. It's like your mission to piss off new users. Is that why barely less than half your new signed up users don't stick around? More than likely. Such as the not paying for the program. Yes, I realize someone pays for it. It's more than likely paid by tax payers, the same exact tax payers I will be serving and aiding. If I fail first time around, I don't lose anything out of it (which is where your piss fits are coming from) and I will attempt the full length course at best of my ability. Now do you wanna pick at that and reword it again? Maybe best of my ability isn't good enough for the tax payers? Lol.

Also clearly it doesn't seem like you get a lot of new discussions daily. So why not slam the new person? Have to entertain your daily lives somehow.

Edited by SwampMusic

Alright. Let's all take a step back and take a deep breath.

Swampmusic, yes. Some of what you wrote was misunderstood. Whether that was intentional or not is up for debate. Assume that it was an honest mistake and chalk it up to experience. Much of what you wrote was questionable based simply on your writing style. That's why you were asked so many questions... some of them repeatedly. So this can go both ways. Improve your writing and people will improve their level of understanding.

You have to admit you're being a little antagonistic here, too. Ok... I just reread some of your replies and I think you're being very antagonistic. (Along with immature... really? Name calling? Come on, dude.) As I mentioned previously, nothing here is personal until it is. Don't make it personal and it won't be personal in response. If you're feeling like some of the comments you've received were getting personal then take a step back, take a deep breath and continue reading.

We get people here with alarming regularity who present with an attitude/background similar to yours with questions similar to yours. These people, almost as a rule, are not interested in EMS for EMS. They're interested in EMS simply because it'll get them a job with a fire department. You say you're interested in EMS but then you argue that yes you're interested but it's also because it'll get you a better paying job. So you'll understand our confusion when in two different posts you've completely contradicted yourself.

You need to understand, too, that you came in to a professional forum with an attitude that might've worked with your fire buddies. EMS is different. It's a different mindset. It's a different attitude. It's an entirely different ballgame. You asked a lot of questions and provided, what could easily be perceived as, shady or indirect information. Your questions have been answered. Whether your like or dislike the answers provided is immaterial. Those are the answers that have been provided.

You can frequent any place you like. Badmouthing one place over another won't make you friends. There's a reason there's so little censorship here. We call it like we see it. Sometimes we get it right. Sometimes we get it wrong. However, you won't get unicorns pooping rainbows like you will elsewhere. If you're wrong we'll call you on it. If we're wrong others here will call us on it. But we'll do it professionally, without the attitude and name calling.

As I mentioned previously you will not find a better place to learn than here. You will get honest, often raw, yet mostly professional, certainly more professional than some of your responses here, replies to your inquiries.

So now the choice is yours. Unicorns pooping rainbows? That won't get you very far. Solid learning from people who've been doing this longer than those on any other site I've frequented? (I've been around a while... I've been on quite a few EMS sites.) That'll get you a lot farther than anything else.

The choice is yours. Keep in mind, though. I'm sure you were taught that if you don't have anything nice to say don't say it at all. Things have a way of coming back to bite you. You are not as anonymous as you might think.

All the best with your decision.

• Like 1

Wow, this one went downhill really quick. I can see where the miscommunications happened. Swamp, part of the issue is that it is hard for us to give you great advice without knowing more details. You are still young and inexperienced so I don't think you realize that the way EMS is done where you are is much different than it is done where I am. We were all there, including me. It took me a long time to realize that what happened in Suffolk County, NY didn't happen in the other 99.9% of the world. Some people can handle an accelerated course, some people can't. At the EMT level, it shouldn't be too difficult, especially if you have some back ground. Where I came from all courses were run by the vollies, whether it be a FD or a VAC. There were no EMT level college courses and only one ALS level college program (no degree, but got you the NYS EMT-CC certification). The only medic class in the county was run by the state university, but no degree again. Where I came from, all EMS classes were run by the gov't so I don't see it as a big deal, whereas others have issue. Again, it is the fractured nature of EMS in the US. Based on that, where I was, no employer cared where you took your class as long as you had a card.

You will also find a lot of people here who have made EMS a career and have decades of experience. It tends to be a sore spot when people use the profession as a stepping stone to something else. Not everyone sees becoming a FF as a promotion and many see it as an insult. Just remember though, whatever course you decide to take it is not about you. EMS is a field of medicine, which is about the patient. Your patients are inviting you into their lives, seeing them on one of the worst days of their lives. You owe it to them to be at your best and bring your A-game very time. Unfortunately, most people who do EMS as a FD stepping stone could care less about the patients and just see them as part of that stone, nothing more than one more obstacle they need to get over to get what they really want. Don't be that provider.

• Like 2

Swampmusic, yes. Some of what you wrote was misunderstood. Whether that was intentional or not is up for debate. Assume that it was an honest mistake and chalk it up to experience. Much of what you wrote was questionable based simply on your writing style. That's why you were asked so many questions... some of them repeatedly. So this can go both ways. Improve your writing and people will improve their level of understanding.

You have to admit you're being a little antagonistic here, too. Ok... I just reread some of your replies and I think you're being very antagonistic. (Along with immature... really? Name calling? Come on, dude.) As I mentioned previously, nothing here is personal until it is. Don't make it personal and it won't be personal in response. If you're feeling like some of the comments you've received were getting personal then take a step back, take a deep breath and continue reading.

We get people here with alarming regularity who present with an attitude/background similar to yours with questions similar to yours. These people, almost as a rule, are not interested in EMS for EMS. They're interested in EMS simply because it'll get them a job with a fire department. You say you're interested in EMS but then you argue that yes you're interested but it's also because it'll get you a better paying job. So you'll understand our confusion when in two different posts you've completely contradicted yourself.

You need to understand, too, that you came in to a professional forum with an attitude that might've worked with your fire buddies. EMS is different. It's a different mindset. It's a different attitude. It's an entirely different ballgame. You asked a lot of questions and provided, what could easily be perceived as, shady or indirect information. Your questions have been answered. Whether your like or dislike the answers provided is immaterial. Those are the answers that have been provided.

You can frequent any place you like. Badmouthing one place over another won't make you friends. There's a reason there's so little censorship here. We call it like we see it. Sometimes we get it right. Sometimes we get it wrong. However, you won't get unicorns pooping rainbows like you will elsewhere. If you're wrong we'll call you on it. If we're wrong others here will call us on it. But we'll do it professionally, without the attitude and name calling.

As I mentioned previously you will not find a better place to learn than here. You will get honest, often raw, yet mostly professional, certainly more professional than some of your responses here, replies to your inquiries.

So now the choice is yours. Unicorns pooping rainbows? That won't get you very far. Solid learning from people who've been doing this longer than those on any other site I've frequented? (I've been around a while... I've been on quite a few EMS sites.) That'll get you a lot farther than anything else.

The choice is yours. Keep in mind, though. I'm sure you were taught that if you don't have anything nice to say don't say it at all. Things have a way of coming back to bite you. You are not as anonymous as you might think.

I suppose you are right about the Fire and EMS differences. Because on the fire side when you give someone your word, you keep it. You shouldn't have to be questioned about it multiple times. If you fail at keeping your word up, then no one will trust you for quite awhile. I grew up keeping my word and rarely ever questioned again.

Name calling goes two ways. I am pretty sure I wasn't the only one on here throwing out names (that's going towards the person that called me an arse). So you (clearly know who you are) can take note on that with the professional statement. You don't call your patients an arse that piss you off or don't agree with you, do you? Surely hope not.

Also in the fire service respect is completely a two way street. I started out nice and understanding, but when you start slamming me is when the attitude is going to change. And if you especially start to get vulgar with me, I will get vulgar right back with you. Would I do it with patients? More than likely not. Our cops are very helpful with out of control patients. If they aren't dying, they are either going to jail, or the hospital. They can also just sign a patient refusal depending on if they have an altered mental status or not.

I'll admit I am being antagonistic. I won't admit I am the only one acting that way. Badmouthing a place after already being badmouthed by a user isn't going to make me any friends to start with. So why not badmouth something else off? Will it make things any better? Nah. Saying something positive probably won't help either. So I don't really see how that matters.

I'm young, i'd like a good paying job to help me get started in life. If I can get a good paying job doing both things I have strong interests in, why not? Salary is half of it. The other half is dedication and willingness to do the best you can in the professions.

Claiming this is the best site, and you have better users is a bit bias, no? I have seen a ton of helpful information from other forms. Just because you have a lot of old timers with a large background doesn't give right to be raw or come off as arrogant. That lacks respect and shows new users this site isn't even willing to be helpful. Just shows the users will come off rude, then if you come off rude at them/don't agree, they'll all team up against you. Which is understandable and you guys have all the rights in the world to do so cause it's your forum, but extremely unethical in practice trying to find new members. This forum actually reminds me of the SDN v. CC feud. The arrogant stuck up med/pre-med students slamming new people (being the SDN) instead of thoroughly helping someone (CC). Although some of the SDN threads are pretty funny.

I want to be an EMT, and I wish to also be a firefighter. I'd love to find employment as both professionals, and yes the pay is greater (good for someone starting out in life) and I will proceed with those plans.

Wow, this one went downhill really quick. I can see where the miscommunications happened. Swamp, part of the issue is that it is hard for us to give you great advice without knowing more details. You are still young and inexperienced so I don't think you realize that the way EMS is done where you are is much different than it is done where I am. We were all there, including me. It took me a long time to realize that what happened in Suffolk County, NY didn't happen in the other 99.9% of the world. Some people can handle an accelerated course, some people can't. At the EMT level, it shouldn't be too difficult, especially if you have some back ground. Where I came from all courses were run by the vollies, whether it be a FD or a VAC. There were no EMT level college courses and only one ALS level college program (no degree, but got you the NYS EMT-CC certification). The only medic class in the county was run by the state university, but no degree again. Where I came from, all EMS classes were run by the gov't so I don't see it as a big deal, whereas others have issue. Again, it is the fractured nature of EMS in the US. Based on that, where I was, no employer cared where you took your class as long as you had a card.

You will also find a lot of people here who have made EMS a career and have decades of experience. It tends to be a sore spot when people use the profession as a stepping stone to something else. Not everyone sees becoming a FF as a promotion and many see it as an insult. Just remember though, whatever course you decide to take it is not about you. EMS is a field of medicine, which is about the patient. Your patients are inviting you into their lives, seeing them on one of the worst days of their lives. You owe it to them to be at your best and bring your A-game very time. Unfortunately, most people who do EMS as a FD stepping stone could care less about the patients and just see them as part of that stone, nothing more than one more obstacle they need to get over to get what they really want. Don't be that provider.

Best response I have yet to receive on here.

Thank you.