Easy Podcasting HOWTO

rcmedic

I've seen a few other posts regarding podcasts, and figured that I'd kill some time and do a quick howto for podcasts. Lots of podcast software exists (since podcasts are just plain ol' mp3 files anyway) but it is my belief that iTunes is the easiest way to go. :-)

You'll need:

* A working computer and hopefully a broadband connection.

* iTunes!

If you have a machine with Mac OS X (you smart human, you!) then you're well ahead of the game. Just run Software Update (from the Apple Menu) and make sure that you have the latest version of iTunes. Then follow along from step 4.

1)Go to http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/ and download the current version of iTunes. As of today, the current system requirements are as follows:

Windows Requirements

* Windows XP or 2000 (latest service packs recommended)

* 500 MHz Pentium class processor or better

* QuickTime 7.0.3 (included)

* 256MB RAM

* Supported CD-R or DVD-R drive to burn CDs

* Broadband Internet connection (DSL/Cable/LAN) for buying and streaming music

If your computer doesn't meet those requirements, for the love of God, please buy a newer computer. I bought a 533mhz Pentium III back in 2001. RAM is also very cheap these days. Buy more RAM. Most of you probably oughta buy some more RAM anyway as often computers ship with an inadequate amount of RAM.

2)Install iTunes and reboot your machine. I should also point out that running Windows Update is a good idea. You should be grabbing the critical security updates anyway. To run Windows Update, open Internet Explorer, go to Tools and then choose Windows Update. It's pretty self explanatory from there.

3)Once iTunes is installed and you've rebooted, launch iTunes.

4)Click "Advanced" and then choose "Subscribe to Podcast."

5)Enter the following - http://www.emslive.com/xml/podcast.xml and click "OK." iTunes will automatically download the latest episode. The previous episodes will show up with a button that says "Get" next to it.

That's basically it. Click on the episode you want to listen to and click the "Play" button.

If you have an iPod (which you should!) then you can set iTunes to copy the latest podcasts to your iPod.

If any of you have questions or run into problems, let me know via a PM or catch me in chat and I'll be happy to help you out.

• 4 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.