Narcan Auto-Injector Coming

emt2359

I think that the majority of people who are against this are two groups

1. The medics who don't want to have something in their bag of goodies taken away - it's mainly a territorial thing I believe. ON the flip side, they don't want to have a cop or bystander give the narcan and when they get there they are dealing with a violent drug abuser who the bystander just took away their 5 dollar high.

2. From law enforcement who don't want to do anything medical if they don't have to. Many cops I know say it's not in their job description and if they are going to be required to give this drug then they want their union or contract negotiators to go back and negotiate for more money from the city/county/state for them learning this new skill.

I am personally for this as I have had at least 3 friends from high school who have died due to opioid overdose and would have possibly been saved if they had this option available to the officers who made it to the scene 5-10 minutes sooner than the EMS crew did.

There is NO reason why BLS crews should not be able to give this except for a territorial reason. And for those with territorial disputes on this, I say "buck up buttercup, get over yourselves, you guys aren't God"

Edited by Ruffmeister Paramedic

Early administration of Epi-pens in kids....public access AED programs...citizen CPR programs...and now narcan....hmmm....I'm sensing a trend here...

(the trend being these are all things are potentially life-saving with very few true drawbacks, and all are...you know...actually working when implemented)

I'm reminded of chicken little whenever this bullshit comes up...as it always does...

• 1 year later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.