This is driving me nuts

RseCty

Wise words, my friend. Wise words, indeed.

Yes, RseCty, you came here with questions asked by others before you. Some of the responses you received were, in fact, biased by those who came before you. Some of the responses you received were probably motivated by years of experience dealing with alcohol related incidents. The fairness of those responses to you is debatable. However, given the, shall we say, evolving nature of the stories in your posts it can be argued that they were warranted.

You need to understand, too, that in this business we see a lot of alcohol related incidents. None of them are good. Many of them have very negative outcomes. I'd argue all of them were preventable. I'll let the others speak for their own experiences.

You're new to us. We don't know you. We have no basis to believe anything about you changing. This will be true in a professional standing, too. The greater the distance between the present day and the incidents in question the better. For now, though, you're still young and too close in time to the events in question. Just so you understand, too, getting defensive, while understandable, doesn't always paint the picture of someone who's learned from their past.

You think you're up to the challenge? Good. Prove it. Understand that you put yourself slightly behind the eight ball both in terms of professional standing and hirability. You are going to have to work harder, longer and do more simply because of your past actions. Understand, too, that we hear all the time "...but I've *changed*..." only to see those people blow it. Simply saying that you aren't the same person anymore isn't going to cut it. Prove it. Keep proving it. The longer you prove it the better your standing. Such is the price for some mistakes people make.

I'd like to add, too, that I also have a significant bias against alcohol. I do not consume it. I've seen people die from it personally and professionally. I've lost family members to it. I've seen lives destroyed by it. I am not unwilling to help people who are trying to improve themselves. Just understand that you're going to have to work harder.

If you're up to the task, despite your lukewarm reception here, this is an excellent place to gain perspective, education and support... even from those who replied to your initial posts in a manner you found offensive (as mentioned, intent is hard to interpret in an online forum). If you're really interested in improving yourself this is one of the best places to do it.

Thank you Paramedicmike. I became defensive because I believed I was unjustly being judged. I've worked very hard to stay out of trouble and better myself over the years, and I took offense to it being questioned. I hope you understand. For a second it seemed like you were negating my hard work. Since you put it the way you did though, I understand why you would question it. Not everyone is honest with others or even themselves, and not knowing me, there isn't much reason for you to take what I say at face value given your experiences. My attitude about the accident changed as I took in what you said. It's better that I be honest.

By the way, I got the job. I'll be starting April. Due to being as old as it is, the MIP did not affect insurance rates. My accident and traffic ticket are another story, but it doesn't appear that it will make insuring me unaffordable. I consider myself lucky, and I will make the most of the opportunity given to me.

One final thing, if you don't mind me asking. The RN in charge of EMTs told me that I'll be on a 90 day probation period. She said this is because some new EMTs can't handle the scene of major traumatic accidents and decide that the job isn't for them. And she's got a point, I really have NO idea how i'll react to such a situation. I've never been in such a situation. So my questions are 1. Do you have any advice on how I can deal with it when the time comes and 2. If I do have a less than favorable reaction and I decide to stick with EMS anyway, will dealing with such incidents get easier?

1. Do you have any advice on how I can deal with it when the time comes ...

Fall back to your training. Is the scene safe? If something changes is it still safe? With regards to your patient go back to ABCs. Did something change? Go back to ABCs and start over again if you need to. Some of the answers will be obvious. Others not so much. The more you do this the quicker your evaluation and reevaluation will be.

Your training will get you through the incident. It's the aftermath when you're riding back from the hospital or sitting at home that'll get you. Everybody handles that differently. We all have our own coping mechanisms. What bothers you might not bother someone else. What bothers someone else might not bother you. There's no way to predict it until it happens. You'll just need to find what works for you.

I do not suggest alcohol.

Personally, I've had pretty decent success with exercise.

...and 2. If I do have a less than favorable reaction and I decide to stick with EMS anyway, will dealing with such incidents get easier?

Depends on you. For some people it does. For others... not so much.

Congrats on getting the job.

congratulations on getting hired.

A 6 month probation is standard time for them to find out if they want to keep you , & if you can handle the job. It also gives them a period where they can let you go without lots of recourse for your job performance.

here are a few pearls of wisdom for your new job

Always be on time for your shift. 15 minutes early is not unexpected so you can get your stuff settled in and find out from the off going crew any issues ongoing.

always come in with the attitude that you are going to give your customers the best you are capable of.

Always treat all customers the same , whether they are rich or poor, live in a mansion or a homeless camp.

Always treat your partner with respect while dealing with the public.

Always take care of yourself.

Eat healthy foods , not mickey D;s

Do exercise and stretch all you muscles well .

Keep your back straight when lifting.

Don't buy cheap boots you will be in them many hours a day.

As to how you will handle whatever the job throws at you, only you can know that for certain.

Each of us has a different coping mechanism.

• Like 1

congratulations on getting hired.

A 6 month probation is standard time for them to find out if they want to keep you , & if you can handle the job. It also gives them a period where they can let you go without lots of recourse for your job performance.

here are a few pearls of wisdom for your new job

Always be on time for your shift. 15 minutes early is not unexpected so you can get your stuff settled in and find out from the off going crew any issues ongoing.

always come in with the attitude that you are going to give your customers patients the best you are capable of.

Always treat all customers patients the same , whether they are rich or poor, live in a mansion or a homeless camp.

Always treat your partner with respect while dealing with the public.

Always take care of yourself.

Eat healthy foods , not mickey D;s

Do exercise and stretch all you muscles well .

Keep your back straight when lifting.

Don't buy cheap boots you will be in them many hours a day.

As to how you will handle whatever the job throws at you, only you can know that for certain.

Each of us has a different coping mechanism.

Fixed it for you. Sorry, this is just a huge pet peeve of mine. IMO, calling our patients 'customers' insults the provider-patient relationship. That relationship implies a certain level of trust and care that is above and beyond 'customers'. McDonalds and Macy's have customers, we have patients. It is a much more personal relationship.

RseCty, congrats on the job and good luck.

we will have to agree to disagree on this partially : DOC

Excellent customer service is required to be a good provider.

Not every Patient needs my awesome medical skills to save them .

Many just need an ear to listen to them ,a hand to hold, and someone who knows where to call to find them assistance getting help outside of the ambulance ride to the emergency room.

There are many providers with excellent medical skills and knowledge that have the personalities of allycats on the prowl.

Not who I want to take care of my parents or neighbors.

Edited by island emt

Many just need an ear to listen to them ,a hand to hold, and someone who knows where to call to find them assistance getting help outside of the ambulance ride to the emergency room.

I'd argue that these are some of these most important medical skills a provider can have and demonstrate to their patients.

The word customer does have a much more casual tone than does patient. This is especially true given the information patients share with us (or that we share with our providers). It is a much more in depth and trusting relationship than a typical customer/vendor type relationship.

I've also heard "client" used which, in some cases, I suppose may work.

To be fair, health care is a service industry. Customer service skills, in addition to medical skills, are important. Bad customer service will hurt you in the short and long term. Maybe we should call them patient relation skills.

1. Do you have any advice on how I can deal with it when the time comes 

IMO, what separates an EMT from a mere citizen is an EMT knows what's to be done. Stress and panick arise when you feel powerless to help or when ignorance freeze you. Know your protocols and there will be no place for anything else once you're on scene.

In my own experience, my duty has always been a barrier against the stress of a situation. I am focused on what I have to do, no matter how much blood on my shoes, no matter the stench, no matter the screaming. If those bother me, I'll talk it out when it's all over, to release the pressure.

But as others have said, it depends a lot on who you are, what's you life, what are your past experiences and what are your own traumas. I have weak spots too, but I've been lucky enough not to attend "that" scene yet. I know I don't care about wounds however gruesome they are, I know I'm not stressed when everyone else is freaking out but that's how I was before I became an EMT. I don't think I've acquired much in that regard. One thing though is to analyze quicker and be less impressed by some symptoms.

2. If I do have a less than favorable reaction and I decide to stick with EMS anyway, will dealing with such incidents get easier?

To me, it seems the most important thing is to be bale to know when you can't take it anymore. I tell my fellow EMTs "If we attend a scene that you can't emotionally handle, you tell me and I'll let you wait outside." I don't think anyone could be blamed for not feeling he/she can handle a situation. What can be blamed though is to get in the mess, knowing you're not operational, and screw-up because you're terrified.

I know some "veteran" EMTs who had had the same weak spot for years and always had the humility to step back when they felt they weren't up for the job.

Hope this helps.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.