This is driving me nuts

RseCty

I'm well aware that drinking and EMS do not mix. My drinking today is very moderate and occasional. Moderate meaning a glass of wine or a beer with dinner (German imports, mmmm). If I do work in EMS, I probably won't even do that.

No need to assume that I was improper toward the officer. Are you a police officer too? Police can be bothered with such things. I was never impolite and I complied.

Anyway fellas, thanks for the input. I only got heated when I felt I was unjustly being judged. I guess the difference between us is that I got caught. I suppose a burglar who has never been caught can comment on the moral character and integrity of one who has. Or something.

I have no doiubt that you have learned and grown. Keep growing and don't get any more tickets.

If you are kept from getting a job based on your past ticket history, just continue going to school to get your pre-requisites for medic school and when you hit 25 or so, go back and apply. Most insurers love 25 years olds much more than they love younger ones. It's just the nature of the business.

Again, good luck to you and if you need anything PM Me, I'll try to hlep in whatever way I can,e xcelp spelling of course, that's not my strong suit tonight.

Triemal and Ruffmeister, thank you for your replies. It's good to know that someone is willing to say something helpful. Other posters were helpful when they stayed on the topic of my insurability. But overall, they just seemed unpleasant and judgmental. It is entirely possible to deliver truths without being rude. Someone should inform them.

If my driving record prevents me from becoming employed, which it sounds like it may, I'll do something else for awhile. Maybe go back to school and nail down some prerequisites or study something else. And no more tickets. It's funny, because I never speed. I'm perfectly content with sitting behind a slow driver. Of course, if I have a critical patient, I'll go around them.

I can't resist...

That is patently absurd, based on anecdotal experience only, and highly, HIGHLY situational. There are many places that are quite strict about MIP's, just as there are many that are not. While I've lived and worked in both, I'm not going to suggest that "most" do it one way or another based on that.

Well: I've worked with many law enforcement officers and have several in the family or very close friends. All of the ones I know can't be bothered to write a juvie up for "MIP" charge as it will not go any further . The normal response is to make the juvies pour it out on the ground and walk home from wherever they were imbibing.

UNLESS they decide to be assholes. , Then they get put in the back of the cruiser and made to call mommy from the jail to come get them. Under 16 yo's get a call to mommy to come get them.

this is standard policy is several states and jurisdictions that I know of.

Well this cop obviously could be bothered with it. I don't know why he made the decision to charge me, but that's not my call. He certainly wasn't in the wrong. I was in fact a minor in possession. So I took responsibility and dealt with the consequences the best way I could. And I was done with it.

Afterward I gave serious thought into the consequences of drinking and made a decision to change my behavior.

Edited by RseCty

Island, as stated, your experiences are anecdotal and cannot be generalised without reproducible evidence. In all honesty, I've no idea what national MIP "charge" rates are.

To the OP, I think you've received reasonable advice. You may encounter issues related to your driving record. It would be difficult for any of us to definitively tell you how things will eventually turn out. We all make stupid choices and some of us will face consequences while others will not. Good luck as you proceed foreword.

Island, as stated, your experiences are anecdotal and cannot be generalised without reproducible evidence. In all honesty, I've no idea what national MIP "charge" rates are.

To the OP, I think you've received reasonable advice. You may encounter issues related to your driving record. It would be difficult for any of us to definitively tell you how things will eventually turn out. We all make stupid choices and some of us will face consequences while others will not. Good luck as you proceed foreword.

Thank you! I'll find out tomorrow or the next day. I'll be sure to let you all know. They seem to be interested in hiring me. I made a good impression in the interview, and we talked about my MIP. HR is also aware of my driving record. I told them that the accident was my fault, and is listed as no fault. At the time I wasn't sure what that meant. At this point, the concern is insurability. If I can be insured at a reasonable cost, I may just be launching my career in EMS very soon. Fingers crossed.

And by the way, is your picture from a Soundgarden video? Black Hole Sun?

Edited by RseCty

Good luck. You have received some tough love from a few people here, but seemingly innocuous mistakes can have significant consequences. I will refrain from soap boxing because I have significant personal bias when it comes to ethanol consumption as I don't drink any period. You will have to be a very cautious and diligent motor vehicle operator in any event.

I wouldn't call it love. One asked me rhetorically if I would want someone like me operating an ambulance, leading me to believe that he, and likely the other guy, think that I don't belong in this profession. I'm probably projecting, but I think they're disgusted that a criminal like me would even consider it. I would disagree. Maybe I'm biased because of my situation, or maybe I'm just more understanding and forgiving. I would not have dropped a grand out of my own pocket on an EMT class and spent all of this time and energy jumping through all the hoops of certification and job seeking if I did not truly want to help people and give back to my community through direct service, and I wouldn't have done it if I didn't believe I was capable of doing so safely, responsibly, and with integrity. I just hope that I am awarded the opportunity.

Edited by RseCty

Possibly, it's hard to determine intention from online dialogue. However, most of the folks here are good dudes and duddettes that really want to help people out. Unfortunately, we've had our share of people who come here and are, shall we say, less than honest. Some people are a bit trigger shy when threads like this are started due to past experiences. I am not here to condone or condemn actions, only to illustrate some of what you may be sensing.

Edit for context:

At the end of the day, you screwed up. You will likely take some crap for it and you are going to have to deal with it. Show us that you are an intelligent, mature professional and accept that and move on. Some of the hard questions asked here very well may come up when you move foreword with your plans to be a provider. You will need to accept this and deal with the consequences and questions as maturely as possible. Show us you have moved beyond your past mistakes, show the others here that you are serious about being a good provider. Sometimes that means accepting that some people may question your ability to be a safe, competent and professional provider.

I will leave you with the words of Maynard:

"Keep your dignity, take the high road, take it like a man."

Good luck as you move foreword.

Edited by chbare
  • Like 2

Possibly, it's hard to determine intention from online dialogue. However, most of the folks here are good dudes and duddettes that really want to help people out. Unfortunately, we've had our share of people who come here and are, shall we say, less than honest. Some people are a bit trigger shy when threads like this are started due to past experiences. I am not here to condone or condemn actions, only to illustrate some of what you may be sensing.

Edit for context:

At the end of the day, you screwed up. You will likely take some crap for it and you are going to have to deal with it. Show us that you are an intelligent, mature professional and accept that and move on. Some of the hard questions asked here very well may come up when you move foreword with your plans to be a provider. You will need to accept this and deal with the consequences and questions as maturely as possible. Show us you have moved beyond your past mistakes, show the others here that you are serious about being a good provider. Sometimes that means accepting that some people may question your ability to be a safe, competent and professional provider.

I will leave you with the words of Maynard:

"Keep your dignity, take the high road, take it like a man."

Good luck as you move foreword.

Wise words, my friend. Wise words, indeed.

Yes, RseCty, you came here with questions asked by others before you. Some of the responses you received were, in fact, biased by those who came before you. Some of the responses you received were probably motivated by years of experience dealing with alcohol related incidents. The fairness of those responses to you is debatable. However, given the, shall we say, evolving nature of the stories in your posts it can be argued that they were warranted.

You need to understand, too, that in this business we see a lot of alcohol related incidents. None of them are good. Many of them have very negative outcomes. I'd argue all of them were preventable. I'll let the others speak for their own experiences.

You're new to us. We don't know you. We have no basis to believe anything about you changing. This will be true in a professional standing, too. The greater the distance between the present day and the incidents in question the better. For now, though, you're still young and too close in time to the events in question. Just so you understand, too, getting defensive, while understandable, doesn't always paint the picture of someone who's learned from their past.

You think you're up to the challenge? Good. Prove it. Understand that you put yourself slightly behind the eight ball both in terms of professional standing and hirability. You are going to have to work harder, longer and do more simply because of your past actions. Understand, too, that we hear all the time "...but I've *changed*..." only to see those people blow it. Simply saying that you aren't the same person anymore isn't going to cut it. Prove it. Keep proving it. The longer you prove it the better your standing. Such is the price for some mistakes people make.

I'd like to add, too, that I also have a significant bias against alcohol. I do not consume it. I've seen people die from it personally and professionally. I've lost family members to it. I've seen lives destroyed by it. I am not unwilling to help people who are trying to improve themselves. Just understand that you're going to have to work harder.

If you're up to the task, despite your lukewarm reception here, this is an excellent place to gain perspective, education and support... even from those who replied to your initial posts in a manner you found offensive (as mentioned, intent is hard to interpret in an online forum). If you're really interested in improving yourself this is one of the best places to do it.

Edited by paramedicmike
  • Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.