Transport Vents

ERDoc

Yeah, never use something important like a vent in a way it wasn't meant to be used. You will have nothing to stand on when the shit hits the fan.

EDIT: In this region (the US), in the situation you present rock_shoes, the crew is going to be screwed either way. The lawyers will be waiting in the ambulance bay to see which way they are going to run their arguments.

Edited by ERDoc

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No question it would be a nightmare call either way.

Back to the vents, BCAS CCT programs use the LTV 1000/1200 series vents. Everyone seems quite happy with them and the adaptability they allow. The Infant Transport Team has another vent they use for patients under 10kg but I'm not sure which one they went with off the top of my head.

In my area there is the thought that any ventilator will be fine for interfacility transfers, however we all know that they all work differently. One service that used to have a T-Bird vent decided to replace it with four Autovents (not sure which model). So now their medical director doesn't let them do interfacility and they are for CPAP and codes only for transport to the hospital. I think this is what is going to happen around here, Autovents are for 911 only. I have seen way too many services using them on respiratory failure patients interfacility and usually the pt deteriorates rapidly.

Personally my main service uses iVents, it works fine. However I don't like it; too big, heavy, bulky. It replaced our T-Bird vent, compared to that I guess it is very compact.

My other service uses CareFusion LTV 1200 and CareFusion ReVel. I believe that they are both a better ventilator than the iVent. However the Revel is even better than the 1200. Yes more money but well worth it.

The iVent is the one that I use the least, despite working there more. We have only had the ReVel since January but so far I really am liking it more than the 1200.

Just my two cents worth.

Side note: Autovents can be used by EMTs, AEMTs and Paramedics in Iowa. However the enhanced ventilators can only be used by Critical Care Paramedics.

So now their medical director doesn't let them do interfacility and they are for CPAP and codes only for transport to the hospital. I think this is what is going to happen around here, Autovents are for 911 only. I have seen way too many services using them on respiratory failure patients interfacility and usually the pt deteriorates rapidly.

I hate that line of thinking, although their medical director is partially right and taking the least harmful path. If something isn't good for a patient on a transfer, it's not good for a patient picked up from the field, especially when you consider that patient may be even less well managed and in potentially in worse shape. Spend the money...take the time to teach people...and get something that is acceptable for both.

Unfortunately it really is the easiest choice, and to some degree the only choice without overcoming some potentially large obstacles.

It's interesting that the AutoVent manufacturer advertises it as being a good vent for IFTs.

Why wouldn't they? And really, it's not even a lie. Why couldn't it be used for an interfacility transfer? (I mean if the patient is completely paralyzed and has no extra requirements for ventilation beyond rate and volume...) They don't advertise it as an ICU ventilator; that leaves a lot of room for advertising that is...open to interpretation.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.