AMBULANCE INSPECTIONS BY REGULATORY AGENCIES

Two Questions:

1. How often is your ambulance inspected by an outside regulatory agency (State, City, Province, Whomever) ?

2. Is the inspection a true inspection, where the inspector truly verifies that you are totally in compliance, or is it pencil-whipped ? I guess to put it more clearly: does your pucker-factor go up when you know you are about to be inspected, because the inspector is such a hard-ass ---- Or do you have no worries at all because you know the guy just wants to lay hands on a few items and get on to the next truck ? No, a better way to put it --- If the airplane you were about to board was inspected like your ambulance is, would you fly in it ?

1 . Annually by state office of EMS

2. There is a minimum, equipment inventory and it all needs to be there and in working condition.

they also inspect for expiration dates on all medical supplies , airways,drugs , fluids ETC. . They check the drug logs and Narc box records.

3. they inspect the truck itself for working order & condition , all emergency lighting, all safety equipment, all door and compartment latches for wear, heat & A/C for operation, general maintenance and cleanliness of overall truck.

Did I ever sweat the inspections???

Not really.

I knew the conditions of the equipment and it's contents.

I also knew that we carried above the minimum supplies and equipment required.

Some agencies stock at the minimum equipment list.

I don't fly on commercial airlines.

1. How often is your ambulance inspected by an outside regulatory agency (State, City, Province, Whomever) ?

Yearly, per EMS Division but.. we also have spot inspections at anytime anywhere. Yes, even at 0030 at an ED.

2. Is the inspection a true inspection, where the inspector truly verifies that you are totally in compliance, or is it pencil-whipped ? I guess to put it more clearly: does your pucker-factor go up when you know you are about to be inspected, because the inspector is such a hard-ass ---- Or do you have no worries at all because you know the guy just wants to lay hands on a few items and get on to the next truck ? No, a better way to put it --- If the airplane you were about to board was inspected like your ambulance is, would you fly in it ?

Used to be paper whipped, now differently. Heck, they even check the KY expiration dates... Pucker factor... not really, your unit should be ready. I will admit, it was a bit embrassing when we got a de-merit because the KY was out of date. Then again, you know what runs down hill?... Yep, all units were stripped and checked and double checked

Fly in it?.. EMS Air is also inspected as well.. so yes, I would fly in it...

It's a pain, but it's also part of being a professional within a profession.

R/r 911

Edited by Ridryder 911

I transported a patient one night, about 2am. His brother was a state inspector for the bureau of EMS. The patient noticed that we had a suction machine that did not have any tubing attached to it and he told his brother.

We were spot checked and inspected at 3:30 am. We passed. The tubing was underneath the suction machine and easily reached but our entire fleet of 3 ambulances were inspected for deficiencies. We got finished at 6am. NOT FUN>

On another instance, had an OSHA inspector as a patient, he noticed one of our employees recap a needle. He called his partner and when the patient was released they inspected our department. He cited us for what he witnessed. Our management countered and filed a complaint and OSHA's answer was that their inspectors are on duty 24 hours a day even when they are patients and when they see a violation they are within their rights to initiate a investigation. You never know who your patient is.

And one final note, a friend of mine said that they were witnessed giving a medication error by a member of the board of pharmacy for the state of missouri and they were investigated on the spot.

Edited by Ruffmeister Paramedic

I transported a patient one night, about 2am. His brother was a state inspector for the bureau of EMS. The patient noticed that we had a suction machine that did not have any tubing attached to it and he told his brother.

We were spot checked and inspected at 3:30 am. We passed. The tubing was underneath the suction machine and easily reached but our entire fleet of 3 ambulances were inspected for deficiencies. We got finished at 6am. NOT FUN>

See...if you'd only been nice to that guy he wouldn't have sicced his brother on you! :lol::lol::beer:

actually I was nice, in my own particular way.

I have a feeling that this was not this guys first rodeo in the telling his brother things. He seemed to know a lot about what was in our ambulance and focused just on that piece of equipment.

He even said "Where's the tubing for that suction machine, I don't see it" or somthing like that. I didn't know what he was driving at at that time but boy did we ever find out.

Etomidate and succs for all pts prior to being loaded up would solve this. I can't stand when JCHAO comes through. Everyone gets their sticks so far up their asses. The system prints out booklets on how to act and respond when approached by these people. Apparently when you are asked a question by the inspectors and you don't know the answer, the appropriate response is NOT, "I don't know and I really don't give a shit."

• Like 1

the JCHAO folks just came through my `wife's hospital last month.

The powers that be help pep rallies for the help on how to look & how to talk nice to them. :wtf:

Yeah, the facility I work for (huge system in baltimore) sends mass emails out to everyone telling us that jcaho or medicare or whoever is here. They send documents out on how to deal with them.

And I've only talked to a investigator once and it was stress free (NOT). They are just looking(at least in my oponion) for stuff to gig you on.

And what are you talking about doc, I have no problem telling an investigator that I don't know an answer.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.