911 dispatch protocols and prediction of ED utilization in pediatrics

Just Plain Ruff

I've attached a file here that is pretty good. the title is "How well do General EMS 911 dispatch protocols predict ED resource utilization for pediatric patients?"

And the answer is apparantly not very well except for low acuity patients.

Let me know if you can't see open the document.

911 dispatch protocols.pdf

From my experience a sick kid raises the fear factor in many providers both prehospital & Emergency room staff.

Many of us have little exposure to sick kids and have a hard time realizing that something like a febrile seizure will usually be self limiting and not need much to get them past it..

I'll admit it : a kid with croup or other breathing difficulty makes me more hyper sensitive to taking them and passing off the responsibility on the ER DOC ,even though I know how to treat them.

Plus many hospital ER's do not have the pediatric resources to give proper care.

We have a specialty children's unit at the big city level 1 an hour & 1/2 south, and if we weren't sure they would often get diverted by phone before we got to our local hospital.

From my experience a sick kid raises the fear factor in many providers both prehospital & Emergency room staff.

Many of us have little exposure to sick kids and have a hard time realizing that something like a febrile seizure will usually be self limiting and not need much to get them past it..

I'll admit it : a kid with croup or other breathing difficulty makes me more hyper sensitive to taking them and passing off the responsibility on the ER DOC ,even though I know how to treat them.

Plus many hospital ER's do not have the pediatric resources to give proper care.

We have a specialty children's unit at the big city level 1 an hour & 1/2 south, and if we weren't sure they would often get diverted by phone before we got to our local hospital.

Oh sure, single me out. There is actually a push now to increase the peds readiness nationwide. I've had to fill out several surveys recently to see where my hospital stands.

Where I work, the BLS units handle all kinds of patients (hence we had to buy ped transport restrains and adapted monitoring devices). The ALS though are specialized, with emergency pediatricians on board.

We have 2 big children hospitals to transport our little patients.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.