Debate Grows Over Public Administration of Narcan

emt2359

the catch phrase being DONE PROPERLY

OK ff's and cops are trainable to do it by the cookbook.

We're talking about giving them to drug addicts and their friends/ family members.

Give them nasal atomizers and thats one let needle out on the street.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am also in favor of it , as the increased availability of heroin makes the risk go up.

Not just because a half assed actor was found dead with a needle in his arm either.

Much of the heroin hitting the streets in recent years has been much stronger and the OD death rate is climbing in many areas.

We all admit that there are risks involved with having EMTs/medics/FFs/cops/homeboy EMS give narcan. Given the benefits (preventing death) I think we can say that the benefits outweigh the risks in this case, even when given by street pharmacists and well meaning family members.

We all admit that there are risks involved with having EMTs/medics/FFs/cops/homeboy EMS give narcan. Given the benefits (preventing death) I think we can say that the benefits outweigh the risks in this case, even when given by street pharmacists and well meaning family members.

Bingo!

BC was actually one of the first places to take on this harm reduction tactic when they began allowing PCP (think EMT- I/85) level providers to administer naloxone to suspected overdoses. The downtown east side of Vancouver is a world class city's dirty little secret. It's the poorest neighborhood in all of Canada with incredibly high rates of drug addiction (heroin in particular).

I do not support giving Narcan to the general public and here is why. Narcan or Naloxone HCL is indicated in the treatment of narcotic overdoses. Narcan can have some serious side effects including vomiting with rapid administration, ventricular dysrthymias and also acute withdrawal. Narcan requires that you have the ability to manage the patients airway and that you have the ability to monitor and treat complications. " Narcan is like a band aid" It does not fix the person or their wounds. Instead of wasting money on Narcan lets instead put funds into education and mental health care.

I do not support giving Narcan to the general public and here is why. Narcan or Naloxone HCL is indicated in the treatment of narcotic overdoses. Narcan can have some serious side effects including vomiting with rapid administration, ventricular dysrthymias and also acute withdrawal. Narcan requires that you have the ability to manage the patients airway and that you have the ability to monitor and treat complications. " Narcan is like a band aid" It does not fix the person or their wounds. Instead of wasting money on Narcan lets instead put funds into education and mental health care.

In a narcotic overdose situation Narcan is a life saving rescue intervention not a band aid. Think of it like giving an epi pen to someone anaphylactic to peanuts or some other common allergen. The side affects you mention are extremely unlikely when you take into account the dosage and route of administration for these public access kits are restricted. Administration is either intra-nasal or via IM auto-injector. The doses are 0.4 to 0.8 mg.

I absolutely agree with you these patients require education and mental health. The problem is, they will never be able to access those things if they die of an overdose. This is an opportunity to reduce the number of overdose deaths. The next step is making the education and mental health services these people require available when they're ready to accept them.

Which is worse, those side effects or death? The idea with public access narcan is that it is a temporizing measure until 911 gets there and can properly manage the other issues. It's not an ideal situation but it is better than letting these people die.

As already stated, people have to survive in order to benefit from education, rehabilitation and so on. It is also possible that many people will not overcome their addiction; however, I simply cannot accept people dying of an overdose while waiting for EMS to arrive. This is not an "ultimate" solution and such a solution is probably not ever going to occur, but this may save lives nonetheless.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.