• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

whackeritus at it's finest.

Same type that wears the T shirt with

"we fight what you fear" on the back

Give the young fellow a break. He didn't write this diatribe. He's just trying to say thank you in his own way.

I believe the OP is sixteen if I'm not mistaken? I look back and realise that I'm old enough to be this person's father and I've been in healthcare longer than the OP has been alive. I remember being a newly minted EMT/medic and being...rather enthusiastic. Perhaps you guys can call me out with a bunch of "I told you so's," but I'm still inclined to have a bit of patience with prospective and neophyte providers.

Chris: as someone who's old enough to be his grandfather and spent many decades as a prehospital provider, I have been biting my tongue trying hard not to swat this child on the behind.

He asked for advice about what education courses were needed to become a Paramedic . Then he told us he is not interested in taking those courses , because he doesn't need them to go to college and become a "paramedic"

Then he came out & told us as a non licensed provider he is carrying a trauma bag that surpases what many carry on an ambulance, & tried to justify it by what if's.

Yes he is 16 and a junior in high school.

He wants to be the hero his father was without putting in the work to be one.

I figure his next thread will be how many flashing lights he can put on his car once he's old enough to drive.

I was that 16y/o once so I have a soft spot for him. It would be different if this guy were 20+. MD, it's great that you are so enthusiastic about the field but I worry. People who has such high expectations usually burn out once they realize what it is really about. None of us are heroes. A hero is someone that goes above and beyond. We are just here doing a job and that job involves all of those things mentioned in the pic. We all made the choice to do this, it wasn't forced on us and we weren't involuntarily put into this position. I enjoy taking care of people and still get that little adrenaline rush on difficult cases but I have no sense of heroism. I don't want to be a hero, I just want to do my job and do it well. I don't mind a thank you, but even that is asking a lot in this field. You will find this attitude more on the fire side, but don't be fooled by them. Yes, FFs die in fires sometimes, but most morbidity and mortality comes from responding to calls like a bat out of hell with the lights and sirens going.

Stay enthusiastic and go for the education.

EDIT: I have not read his other posts that island talked about so I may not have the full story.

Edited by ERDoc

All I'm trying to do is thank all you guys :/ maybe you don't want to be called heroes and I can understand that but no matter what I look up to EMTs/Medics cause in my opinion there doing a service that is extremely important to society. I'm sorry if I somehow keep offending all of you, I'm not trying to do that. I'm here to learn as much as I can cause that's all I want to do.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.