Hello!

MedicDelta

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, I remember being sixteen. I didn't want to take math, physics or chemistry. Therefore, I didn't. I ended up having to take a year of "developmental" classes in college before I could be placed in the standard courses. During High School I was more interested in getting lucky with my redheaded girlfriend during lunch. At least you seem to have focus beyond that. Moral of the story, you compromise your college career by not having proper focus and thinking like a little child when you should really listen to us as we know best.

The lesson I learned...totally worth it, no regrets. Wouldn't change a thing in-spite of paying for it with a year of my life. Good luck moving foreword.

No one here knows your situation but we all know how medicine and paramedicine work so you would be wise to listen. If you think you can realistically practice medicine (yes, paramedicine is still medicine) without having a good foundation in math, chemistry and physics you are in for a rude awakening. There is this pesky thing in medicine called medications. When they are given to a person they have an effect on this other pesky thing called physiology (that's how the body works). You need to understand how the body works before you can understand what happens when things go wrong. You also have to know how it works before you do things that alter the way it works. The body is nothing more that millions of chemical reactions working together. You MUST understand math, chemistry and physics if you ever want to be a competent provider.

EDIT: If the school you are looking at do not require these things, RUN! They are a useless school that will not turn you into a quality provider and are just looking to take your money.

Edited by ERDoc

Your right you all do. I will do my best to fit math and chemistry into my grade 12 schedule, and if I can't I'll either take those courses after high school or talk to the college that I might be attending. The college is CMA certified so I don't think there totally useless lol. But hey I'll do some more research on it. Thanks.

Hmm, you're the teenage son of a military medic who also worked for a civil agency. You've watched your dad throughout his career and he's your role model, so naturally, you want to be like him and follow in his footsteps. However, it doesn't appear that he's a part of your life anymore, and that's unfortunate. As the son of a medic you've grown up in the lifestyle and have a closer insight to the profession than most kids do and that's a problem. You see, your dad probably shared a lot of stuff with you about his career, but I'll bet he didn't share the bad stuff, so you think this career is all butterfly farts and jellybean puke. As a second generation medic with a son your age following my footsteps I can see exactly how I was shielded from the worst and how I have shielded my family from what I've endured.

Firstly, you claim in your first post that you work as a PCP for your local service, and in the very next sentence you state that you hope to take EMR training soon. You can't be a PCP if you haven't even taken EMR training, and I know of no schools in Canada that would train a PCP without completing 12th grade first.

You're obviously eager, and that's not a bad thing, but don't claim to be something you are not. We've taken the eduction to be a PCP, you have not, so don't make that claim. In some jurisdictions it is actually a crime to misrepresent yourself in that manner. You're reaching out to us for some guidance, and we'll try to help you. Some advice might seem mean spirited, but please understand that we do want to help you, and when you get a response like that it because it comes from a deep rooted fear that you are headed down a path of self destruction that we've all seen before. It's not malice or 'tude, it's more like tough love guidance and a desire for you to see the truth of the future you've chosen rather than the glamour that currently seems to be skewing your perception of the reality that is EMS.

I don't ever recall claiming to be a PCP. You might have misread something I said, I believed I said that in the future I wish to work part time as a PCP for my local EMS station. But trust me I never said I was a medic, cause I'm not. My dad has shared some bad stories like the time he had to do CPR for over an hour in a helicopter, and a few other stories about him loosing patients. I know it's not a fairy tale. But it's the work I want to do no matter how hard.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.