Dizziness with Fall

usmc_chris

Best guess would be Spinal Motion Restriction. ;)

I realize most providers use an excessive number of acronyms, but it isn't entirely unruly to use common acronyms within a case presentation thread directed at other Emergency Medical Service (EMS) providers. My usual tact is to write out the full title the first time I use an acronym with the acronym in brackets immediately after the full title. This seems to eliminate any confusion when I use said acronym later on.

In the end I feel the acronym debate would be better left to its own thread instead of it rearing up almost every time someone tries to present a case. I suspect it prevents a number of people from participating in a case they could have benefited from.

Edited by rock_shoes

I realize most providers use an excessive number of acronyms, but it isn't entirely unruly to use common acronyms within a case presentation thread directed at other Emergency Medical Service (EMS) providers. My usual tact is to write out the full title the first time I use an acronym with the acronym in brackets immediately after the full title. This seems to eliminate any confusion when I use said acronym later on.

In the end I feel the acronym debate would be better left to its own thread instead of it rearing up almost every time someone tries to present a case. I suspect it prevents a number of people from participating in a case they could have benefited from.

you are correct, and thanks for the SMR definition. You will notice that didn't even make it in my list of abbreviations.

i'm done. Now on the the regularly scheduled thread.

Is he conscious?

If so then let's get a history and

1. Vitals

2. blood glucose

3. EKG

If he was assisted to the ground by friends then we can rule out boarding and collaring him but....

If he was not assisted and he's conscious, we should apply our noggins to the case at hand and if we are so blessed to be able to rule out the need for SMR's then let's do so but if we have to go by protocols then we gotta do what the "great big book of protocols" tells us and I'll bet that is to board and collar the guy.

If he's unconscious - let's start down that path when and only when the great OP comes back to tell us the answers to our questions.

Best guess? You don't know either.

What about the COA/COG?

That's find you want to keep the scenario moving forward. But it can't really move if people don't know what other people are talking about.

And honestly? Right now, I'm more curious what the abbreviations really stand for than I am in the scenario.

• Like 1

Best guess? You don't know either.

What about the COA/COG?

That's find you want to keep the scenario moving forward. But it can't really move if people don't know what other people are talking about.

And honestly? Right now, I'm more curious what the abbreviations really stand for than I am in the scenario.

Fill your boots.

https://www.coastalvalleysems.org/entry/updated-spinal-motion-restriction-treatment-guideline.html

http://stedmansonline.com/webFiles/Dict-Stedmans28/APP06.pdf

good link to the spinal motion

But that stedmans link does not have the abbreviation for COA though unless the person is looking for Coenzyme A.

But COG fits the bill for center of gravity.

good link to the spinal motion

But that stedmans link does not have the abbreviation for COA though unless the person is looking for Coenzyme A.

But COG fits the bill for center of gravity.

SMR is also not in Stedmans. Hey Chris, please come back so we can move this scenario forward and end the abbreviation discussion.

Look, I'm not trying to piss off anybody. As has been mentioned by someone else in this thread if we're going to have an intelligent discussion about this we all need to be speaking the same language.

I looked, before I asked, for possible explanations of the abbreviations in question. I didn't find anything that really fit. So I asked.