Canadian ACP programs

jcroteau

I went to SIAST as a Sask trained and registered PCP for my Advanced care Paramedic. I had two PCP's from BC in my class who had issues with the JI because of the strike. Both passed one is employed with BCAS the other stayed in Saskatchewan. As the courses and their content is always changing I can't comment specifically to the course now except that it is still a CMA accredited program.

As HellsBells stated SIAST is a full time program M-F 9-4:30 in either Regina or Saskatoon with class sizes of about 30, Practicum placements throughout the province. minimum requirements are listed in the course info. Passing requires passing the course as well as your practicum which is up to your preceptors and practicum coordinator. As for a lack of a strict selection process, students tend to get weeded out by exams and through practicum, no one is guaranteed a pass

If you're based in BC and want to work for BCAS, you should look at the JI. The JI, EMA Licensing, and the BCAS ALS residency program are becoming more and more integrated and give students a pretty smooth transition through practicum, licensing, and residency to get new ACPs out on the road and practising.

Attending the JI is without question to the detriment of your education. The future of paramedicine in Canada will include acquisition of a bachelor degree. Credits from the JI are like monopoly money. They're only good at the JI. No matter where you choose to go make damn sure your credits count toward completion of a degree at a recognised educational institution.

I could ramble on about the JI further, but sitting at my computer institution bashing won't help anyone. With regard to ease of transition into a BC ACP position, I can confirm that attending an outside institution was in no way to my detriment. If anything it was a tremendous benefit.

• 3 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.