Canadian ACP programs

jcroteau

I live in BC, NAIT and SAIT appear to be good programs (received an offer to NAIT yesterday...and so far have been very unimpressed with the way SAIT has been conducting their selection intake). A little apprehensive about SIAST as there is essentially no pre selection screening and it appears you will have a couple restrictions on your license if you take it out of Sask. I've heard good things about Holland but man that is alot of information to cram into 6 months.

As far as my goals....Looking for a well estabilshed program that has been consistently producing good grads...my end goal is to get onto an ALS fly car.

Perhaps you can be more specific with what kind of goals you are referring to.

....Looking for a well estabilshed program that has been consistently producing good grads...my end goal is to get onto an ALS fly car.

I dunno man...... That pretty well covers every school and excludes every school at the same time!

The reality is, the schools have to adhere to the NOCP's, the difference is in the delivery of the program.

Is one superior to the next??

There is no way to tell without having multiple people take each course then evaluate them.

I had a great experience at my school, but one of my classmates had a terrible time. So since I am on this forum and he's not, is it fair for me to give good reviews?

You should figure out what delivery format suits you best, and which province you want to work in, and start narrowing your search.

As far as a "fly car" (Called PRU here *Paramedic Response Unit), they are typically a coveted Metro or suburban rotational job. It is not common to be placed on a PRU exclusively, however those positions do exist....... like maybe 6 in all of Alberta.

PRU's are typically staffed by Supervisors that are out of scope and do not respond routinely to calls as they are out of scope.

So you need to be a little more clear about your goals of education, as well as career. Then we can try steer you in the right direction.

Honestly, I think you will find most at this forum are too thoughtful and scientific to share the opinions of their programs. Your asking for the results of an N=1 study to base your entire educational experience, and career on, and not even giving us a little personal background or purpose to your question. To be honest, your being a little too shallow here and you should really try another approach.

A good friend of mine went to NAIT and hated it because there was no consistency in instructors.

Another good friend of mine was in the same class and loved the diversity of having inconsistent instructors.

See my point? Depending on which one of those guys you happen to ask, you will get either a rave, or a rant, but neither applies to the school, they apply to the student.

Opinion doesn't mean shit without knowing your purpose.

Yeah, I'm afraid that, as Mobey states you'll get differing opinions on all schools from different grads.

The advice that I do have is that if you are based out of BC and want to work in BC, its not too bad of an idea to pick a school in Alberta, as its close logistically, and registration transfers over fairly easily. Additionally, if you're thinking of taking school in Alberta, I'd also recommend you take a look at PMA, they have classes out of Sherwood park and Calgary.As a Paramedic in Southern Alberta, I get most of my students from either PMA or SAIT. There doesn't seem to be a particular difference in the quality of students each produces, I find its more the attitude of the individual that makes the difference.

As you mentioned, the selection process at SAIT doesn't seem to be that strict, they also have bigger classes and go to school full-time monday-friday. PMA has a rotation of classes that is two weeks on two weeks off, smaller classes, stricter selection process and a shorter length for the program. NAIT I can't really speak to, as I don't get any students from that program.

So... its up to you to decide what the best fit for you is. I think the best thing to do would be to go to an open house and/or talk to the instructors at each school, see if you like the facilities and also the philosophy of the teaching staff there; ask what their pass rate for ACP exams. I would really not put too much stock in one off opinions of ex student from each school, as they tend to reflect personal bias, rather than the reality of the institution.

Edited by HellsBells
  • Like 1

If you're based in BC and want to work for BCAS, you should look at the JI. The JI, EMA Licensing, and the BCAS ALS residency program are becoming more and more integrated and give students a pretty smooth transition through practicum, licensing, and residency to get new ACPs out on the road and practising.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.