Volunteering for Marine Corps…but need a question answered first

B_Robbins

A group of Marines are going to the mountain for a few days and want me to join them as their EMT. Apparently the Navy Corpsmen aren't digging the avalanche hazard terrain. Anyways, I'm a VET and know these guys really well so I've been preferred over others. I will volunteering as a civilian with no medical control. Am I allowed to do this in the state of Colorado? Called the dept. of health…no clear answer. Its a grey area apparently considering I'd be dealing with the military. I am state certified and my biggest fear is loosing that if. Thanks for review or any answers. Cheers

Let me ask you this, what have they asked you to do skill wise and care wise? That should have been the first question that we should have asked.

Come on people, don't you get it? He's going out with a "small unit." It's obviously a high-speed low-drag Marine special operations team that is super secret and completely disavowed by the government; that's why a "civillian" is being used for medical support, as "civillian" is clearly spec-ops speak for "heavy duty world class operator."

Orrrr...maybe I just have an overactive imagination...

If it's official training they need to follow their established policy for this, which will likely entail a higher level of care and resources than you'll have available. If it's not official training or is off the books training/fun, then without knowing specifics about the environment you'll be in it's really hard to give any specifcs.

• Like 1

I'm going to guess that this isn't a USMC/USN sanctioned event. If it was they would just simply say, "HM2 Jones, suit up. You've got to babysit some Marines."

Edited by ERDoc

Paramedicmike, I can see how your skeptical on it. If your not prior military, I wouldn't expect you to understand. The whole thing is being planned now and like I said, they prefer me over the Corpsmen. The Corpsmen can't go anyway because they're two of them and they have annual training for that week. See how the size of a unit matters now? Now since I'm planning, if you have an answer instead, I'd appreciate it. Your very correct about there being a reason DOH doesn't have an answer. It's because they don't know. That is why I posted this after all

Yeah its real training with a real LOI with real CO authorization…You guys seem to know more about how the military works then where I can find resources to help me make a smart move

What are you guys skeptical about? Im just trying to get good solid advice from a few pro's. I clearly came to the wrong place. Thank you

I spent a decade in the military and another year as a contractor that supported some of the military operations going on overseas. What you are proposing is not koser. I was in the military and apparently "I don't get it either." The military has organic medical assets. If you were involved in operational planning, you would know even training missions state side require an operations order (OPORDER). An integral part of the OPORDER is medical support. You are setting yourself up for major liability if you are circumventing official military channels. You received solid advice froma few pros and are choosing to ignore it.

Paramedicmike, I can see how your skeptical on it. If your not prior military, I wouldn't expect you to understand. The whole thing is being planned now and like I said, they prefer me over the Corpsmen. The Corpsmen can't go anyway because they're two of them and they have annual training for that week. See how the size of a unit matters now? Now since I'm planning, if you have an answer instead, I'd appreciate it. Your very correct about there being a reason DOH doesn't have an answer. It's because they don't know. That is why I posted this after all

Yeah its real training with a real LOI with real CO authorization…You guys seem to know more about how the military works then where I can find resources to help me make a smart move

What are you guys skeptical about? Im just trying to get good solid advice from a few pro's. I clearly came to the wrong place. Thank you

How do you expect us to be able to give you advice or help you find resources when we don't have the full picture? You don't seem to want to provide the details so excuse us for being skeptical. If this is a military training, have you thought about asking the military? Surely your CO would be a better source than an anonymous internet forum. If you think people without prior military experience wouldn't understand, why would you come on a forum full of people without military experience and ask your questions? Do you see how that just doesn't make sense?

Well:I am a former military member with plenty of time in. What you are asking us is will the state allow you to practice prehospital medicine without medical control.

are you not assigned a medical MOS???

Then you are a first aider with the basic military training in combat lifesaving or ????

If you are an active member of the military then the state has no control over what you do in the military or a military training exercise.

Your medical direction should be coming from your military chain of command , who will tell you what you are allowed to have as a scope of practice.

A few thoughts:

Why has this story changed? First it was that the corpsman didn't want to go play in an avalanche prone area. Now it's that they have their annual training. Which is it? Two different stories here makes the content of the rest of what you've posted suspect. Given how you're dodging questions and providing additional information in a less than straightforward manner only raises more questions about just what is going on. We can't seem to figure it out from what you've posted. Your changing stories points to you not knowing, either.

Coincidentally, this could be why the State of Colorado EMS folks can't help you, either. If your approach to them has been anything like your approach to us then they're just as confused as we are.

The "if you haven't been there you just can't understand" attitude is telling. No, I am not former military. I do, however, have some pretty extensive experience dealing with the military and how they do things. What's funny is that the only people I have encountered who use this approach are the people who were never involved with the organization in question.

Your story just doesn't add up. If this is a legitimate training exercise then legitimate military resources should be involved. Follow your chain of command, or get your Marines to follow their chain of command, to get the resources and authorizations you need to do the job. The military will set your scope, limit your practice and provide the medical command oversight you'll need to do the job. If this is not a legitimate training exercise then you are operating as little more than a basic first-aider with no scope, a few band-aids and a cell phone to call for help. This answer has been presented to you several times, but multiple professionals, throughout this thread. What about it, specifically, is not to your satisfaction?

Lastly, that you do not like the responses you've been getting is not a lack of professionalism. You have been met with some reasonable skepticism, yes. Especially considering your changing tone and story. But nowhere in this discussion have you been treated less than professionally.

• 2 weeks later...

If you're getting paid to go out with these guys, my guess is that alone is enough to lose your lisence as you don't have a medical director.

If you're volunteering to go out, then I can't see any issues at all. I'm not even sure that your scope of practice matters if you're acting in good faith as a Good Samaritan.

I can't imagine the senario where a Marine training mission would leave their Corpsmen home and take a civilain EMT. I also can't imagine the mission where they would choose to go into unsafe avalanche areas for training, especially while being responsible for a civilian EMT.

I'm from Colorado, but that doesn't help, because as others have stated, your story stinks Brother. Tell the truth, or flesh out the details and more will be willing to help. But stick with the, "A civilian EMT going out on a dangerous training mission in support of the Marines? You all have never heard of that? Happens all the time..if you're as good as me..."

And I don't care if you're friggin' Chuck Norris...just the suggestion that the Marines turned to their Corpsmen and said, "You guys sit this one out...we've got super EMT here to take care of us.." pisses me off...That just didn't happen.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.