Volunteering for Marine Corps…but need a question answered first

B_Robbins

A group of Marines are going to the mountain for a few days and want me to join them as their EMT. Apparently the Navy Corpsmen aren't digging the avalanche hazard terrain. Anyways, I'm a VET and know these guys really well so I've been preferred over others. I will volunteering as a civilian with no medical control. Am I allowed to do this in the state of Colorado? Called the dept. of health…no clear answer. Its a grey area apparently considering I'd be dealing with the military. I am state certified and my biggest fear is loosing that if. Thanks for review or any answers. Cheers

I wouldn't do this. If something happens and you place a toenail out if line, say goodbye to medicine for life.

I seriously doubt though that for official training they would take a civilian. If a corpsman received orders for training then they sure as hell better show up. I'm really skeptical of this occurring in reality for official training.

Is this an official training or just a bunch of guys going out to have some fun? If it is official, I'd be careful and find out why there isn't an official medical person involved. If it is just a bunch of guys going to have some fun, I don't see a problem with it. As an EMT out in the middle of nowhere there really is nothing you are going to do beyond simple first aid. Don't be stupid and be that guy that buys a full medical kit with meds like morphine. Bring a bad with some bandages and some splints, it's nothing more than first aid.

This still doesn't make sense.

Small unit or not, if this is official training then they should take the steps to have an official medical plan, including providers, either directly involved in, or readily available for, the training. If this is an official training mission and something happens with you there instead of a corpsman heads will roll.

If you guys are just going out as an off-duty weekend in the woods type thing then ERDoc already addressed the issue: basic first aid. If the Colorado DOH can't give you a straight answer there's probably a reason for that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.