Warning Lights @ Sirens use in EMS

Ace844

Lights@Sirens use in your practice!!  

35 members have voted

1. 1.

• 1.) Anecdotally and in personal experience it does work and helps my patient's achieve better outcomes
    • 2.) I agree with the majority of studies it does nothing for my patient, and increases my risk of injury/accident
    • 3.) I just do it because of my agencies policies and my training
    • 4.) I don't care either way, i just like to drive Lights @ Sirens
    • 5.) I'm not sure either way...
    • 6.) I could care less....

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and Ace, it is possible that people are not voting because the selections are not worded to the way they feel about the subject. or two selections may more accuratly cover their feelings than just one. so it is possible that they are not voting to try and keep your poll accurate as possible. or we just don't want to!!!

"Race,"

Duly noted, I agree that may be a factor...so what do you suggest...???? Also, why not post your vote/response and then that would at least or give others a general idea of where you stand... Also, is there a way to modify an existing poll while it's in progress?? I only ask as I don't have that kind of IT know how...

out here,

Ace844

it is possible that people are not voting because the selections are not worded to the way they feel about the subject. or two selections may more accuratly cover their feelings than just one. so it is possible that they are not voting to try and keep your poll accurate as possible.

Yeah, that's my category. Choices 2 and 3 both applied equally, so I didn't bother to flip a coin and vote.

Whaty I cant understand is some of the EMD standards Non Lights or siren for the Seizure PT Actively Seizing the last two patients I have had i have had to go lights and sirens to the hospital and patients have had comprimized outcomes secondary to hypoxia. Including one i had to intubate.

Perhaps we should forget using a motor speedway/racetrack as an example, as some folks, sick as it may sound, don't go to witness excellent high speed driving performed in powerful machines, or watching the pit crews complete a 4 wheel tire change and refueling in 15 seconds (could my gas and service station take a lesson from the pit crew guys). Instead, these people come hoping to see a spectacular crash, and unfortunately, they do, too often.

Instead, these people come hoping to see a spectacular crash, and unfortunately, they do, too often.

Not often enough to make me watch.

Comparison of Crashes Involving Ambulances with Those of Similar-Sized Vehicles

Adam F. Ray A1 and Douglas F. Kupas A1

A1 Department of Emergency Medicine, Geisinger Health System, Danville, Pennsylvania

Abstract:

Objective. To describe the characteristics and associated occupant injuries of motor vehicle collisions (MVCs) involving ambulances as compared with MVCs involving similar-sized vehicles. Methods. Motor vehicle crash data in Pennsylvania from 1997–2001 were analyzed to compare the characteristics of crashes involving ambulances with those involving vehicles of a similar size. Crash demographics (e.g., location of crash, roadway conditions, intersection type) and associated injuries were examined and compared using chi-square tests and Fisher's exact test.

Results. 2,038 ambulance MVCs and 23,155 crashes involving similar-sized vehicles were identified. Weather and road surface conditions were similar, but ambulance MVCs occurred with increased frequency on evenings and weekends. Ambulances were more likely to be involved in four-way intersection crashes (43% vs. 23%, p = 0.001), angled collisions (45% vs. 29%, p = 0.001), and collisions at traffic signals (37% vs. 18%, p = 0.001). More people were involved in ambulance MVCs (p = 0.001), with 84% of ambulance MVCs involving three or more people and 33% involving five or more people. Injuries were reported in more ambulance MVCs (76% vs. 61%, p = 0.001). Pedestrian involvement was rare (< 5% in both groups). Conclusion. Ambulance crashes occur more frequently at intersections and traffic signals and involve more people and more injuries than those of similar-sized vehicles.