Peds pads and Zoll defib

Quakefire

Ran into an interesting problem. We use Zoll E-Series monitors for the most part, and I recently found out something interesting. If you use the normal or CPR sensor equipped Pedi-Padz with older Zoll monitor/defib like the e or m series, and use the built in AED, the monitor will deliver a full adult defib dose if a shock is indicated. They make a reduced energy pad with a large resistor pack on the cabling but it doesn't exactly cut the dose in half (120J becomes 56) with every defib. This prevents you from doing a accurate weight based defib dose.

So we are left with carrying two different sets of pediatric pads in the event that a BLS crew is at a call without ALS backup. Or not allowing our BLS crews to use the AED with pediatric patients. Sounds like this has been changed with the newer R and X series

Very hard to find any info on the reduced energy pads, so I'm interested to hear your thoughts

Dan

• 3 weeks later...

Our organization is trialing the X-series and I planned to ask the rep about this during our in-service.. EMS being the way it is, I made it to about 5 minutes of the session before getting called out. I asked my boss if he could follow up with the rep and try and get an answer as to whether the problem has been rectified with the newer versions.

Have you found out any more info on this?

Yes we do.

They are a little lighter and more compact. I am really neutral though.

They look like they were made by LEGO, and I appreciate the see-thru CPR. But the ETCo2 is a pain to get operating.

The thing I honestly like best is that they fit nicely on the head of the stretcher due to the low profile, but that's a pretty small reason.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.