EMT's in dispatch

I am an EMT A in Memphis and also a freelance writer. In my research I found that in order to be an EMS dispatcher for Austin-Travis County EMS, one must be at least an EMT-B and then one obtains his or her EMD after being hired.

Is this a common requirement? If not, do you know any other agencies who require dispatchers to first obtain their EMT certification? Possible article in this!

Thanks

Devin Greaney

More information on this article, color me skeptical on the background but Devin, we get several times a year people who come in here asking for advice when it comes to a court case or a journalist who comes here asking for advice to write an article and sometimes these requests are for dubious reasons, such as support for a lawsuit.

Please (forgive the questioning) tell us why you are researching EMS Dispatcher requirements for Austin-Travis County EMS when you live in Memphis. Just curious not questioning your motives, (well I kind of am) but we've had issues on this site with this type of request in the past.

Like I said just want clarification prior to any of us going down any rabbit hole. But the skepticism is not personal, please note that. Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Fair question. I am legit and all I am looking for is names of agencies that I could talk to. Austin is am agency that requires EMT's for dispatch. I am not saying that is good or bad, but trying to get different perspectives. There may be no story here, but right now I am looking.

Devin Greaney

Memphis TN

For back ground you should research how dispatch centers operate today.

Many PSAP's [ public safety answering points ] are multi jurisdictional units that provide 911 call answering and transfer of the inputed information to the appropriate agency that is then dispatched to handle the problem , whether is requires fire , law enforcement , or EMS response or a combination of all the above.

With E-911 most states have gone to requiring dispatchers to be licensed as EMD operators in order to be able to provide pre arrival medical instructions , such as how to do CPR or in chest pain calls to administer ASA or how to stop life threatening bleeding.

Some states require them to be EMT's also.

Dispatch protocols are an ever changing thing , much as EMS as we learn better ways to provide service.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.