3 ft fall spinal immobolization

zeektheman

I would have used spinal precautions with this patient and here is why. While the patient only fell 3 feet, there was trauma noted to one arm and also to his head. Since we can not see inside of his head & cervical spine then it is best to take precautions. I had a fellow Paramedic who cleared a guy who had a small branch hit him on the head while trimming trees in his yard. The guy looked fine except for a small laceration on top of his head. The Paramedic opted not to take spinal precautions, but when they arrived at the ED a CT was ordered and it revealed a sublaxation of his cervical vertebrae.

What does the trauma to the head have to do with the cervical spine? What criteria did the medic use to clear the c-spine in the case?

There have been studies done in the past that show a connection between head trauma and cervical and spinal injuries. Closed head injuries can be caused by accidents, falls and related trauma.

So you don't believe in clinical decision tools? Again, what criteria did your paramedic friend use to clear his pt?

PS-You can't just say that studies have been done, you have to provide those studies.

I think what ERDoc is trying to say is HOW did the "Paramedic" "clear" ( a misuse fo the term) the c-spine. What assessments did he perform.

What he is wondering is if he did it "correctly".

Saying Selective Spinal Immobilization (AKA "Clearing the C-Spine" ) protocols dont work, if they were misused in the first place, is not an accurate, or helpful, statement.

Edited by croaker260

Let's give this "paramedic" the benefit of the doubt and say he properly applied the NEXUS criteria (although the fact that the pt got a CT in the ER makes me doubt this), don't forget, the NEXUS criteria are only 99.6% sensitive, meaning you are going to miss that 0.4% of clinically significant spine injuries. The Canadian cspine rule has a sensitivity of 100%, so if applied properly you shouldn't miss any. Like I said in an earlier post, for the original pt, as presented NEXUS says no and CCSR says yes.

The patient hit the ground with enough force to fracture his arm therefore that same level of force was applied to the rest if his body. Secondly, because he has a fractured arm a spinal rule out can not be performed because his fractured arm is now considered a distracting injury. He must be immobilised. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Leprechaun

The patient hit the ground with enough force to fracture his arm therefore that same level of force was applied to the rest if his body. Secondly, because he has a fractured arm a spinal rule out can not be performed because his fractured arm is now considered a distracting injury. He must be immobilised. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's the problem with NEXUS, a distracting injury isn't defined very well and is very subjective. How many people fall and break their arm and have no spinal injuries? I would say it would be most.

You know I fell on the ice this morning, I hurt my Butt pretty bad, had the ambulance called for me this am because I could barely get up and some foreign idiot called EMS, They wanted to fully immobilized me because they said I had a distracting injury of butt pain and they couldn't rule out a spinal injury. :wtf:

Haha... something similar happened to me last year, I fell going UP stairs and busted my knee wide open. Someone called EMS since my leg was gushing blood, they heard that I fell DOWN the stairs and started trying to put a c-collar on me. Sille EMS providers making assumptions and jumping to conclusions.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.