Decerberate versus decorticate posturing...how to remember which is which?

Well, as the post says. I developed and used several mneumonic devices when I was studying to be an EMT and taking the classes. For instance, I used Sick Antelopes Make Pork Latkes (to) Eat for as a way to remember SAMPLE history. The more outlandish, the more likely I was to remember them. Hey, whatever helps you get the info in there and cemented into your knowledge base, right?

But I have been unable to come up with anything to remember decorticate versus decerberate posturing. Which is which? I know what they are, but how to do I remember the difference? Hep me!

Shalom,

Jeff

I sued to remember which one was decorticate was because the posture was similar to catching a football as in decorticate = "caught it"

Please don't take this as an attack on you personally:

The problem with many teaching programs today is they spend lots of time teaching the students neumonic 's instead of teaching them to practice prehospital medicine.

Last time I was an examiner at a state practical they all came through spouting decapbtls and all other kinds on made up memory prompts . They all gave me the deer in the headlights look when I made them tell what all the neumonics meant.

What you need to learn by study is what the signs & symptoms of decerebet and de corticate posturing are & what type of injury may cause them to be seen in a patient.

What are the cranial nerves and nerve pathways that might be involved?

PS de-core ticate = to the core

This is one of those things best remembered by seeing it. I don't have any memory devices to help, sorry. Maybe check out youtube. I do have to agree with Island, though. It sounds like you are trying to make things more difficult than they need to be. You are making up a mnemonic to remember your mnemonic. You are adding an unnecessary step. In your example, just remember SAMPLE. It's easier to remember one word than a whole sentence of at least 6 words. Unless we are talking about 'Oh, oh, oh, to touch and feel vinny's girlfriend's vagina, ah heaven' because OOOTTAFVGVAH just doesn't make sense.

SAMPLE is a mnemonic device I thought...why have to remember some other words as well as just SAMPLE?!?!

Decorticate, you protect the core, your arms are flexed and you're protecting yourself still, decerebrate is the opposite where you're extended.

The only time I use a memory device is for the cranial nerves.

Edited by scubanurse

Please don't take this as an attack on you personally:

The problem with many teaching programs today is they spend lots of time teaching the students neumonic 's instead of teaching them to practice prehospital medicine.

Last time I was an examiner at a state practical they all came through spouting decapbtls and all other kinds on made up memory prompts . They all gave me the deer in the headlights look when I made them tell what all the neumonics meant.

What you need to learn by study is what the signs & symptoms of decerebet and de corticate posturing are & what type of injury may cause them to be seen in a patient.

What are the cranial nerves and nerve pathways that might be involved?

PS de-core ticate = to the core

What about dirty little pneumonics to remember cranial nerves? Only pneumonic i ever remembered =D

I think someone might have mentioned that.

Yes you did, but i read islands post when i hit the reply button before i saw your post doc =)

And its "vagina and hymen" =D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.