EMT Gets Suspended and Resigns After Breaking Rules

ERDoc

The volley system in NYS is like a bunch of little kingdoms where the VAC sets the rules. I doubt there is a rule like that. Usually it is, if you get a call, get your crew and go. I wouldn't rip apart all volleys (ERDoc ducks and covers) based on this one guy. There are some pretty well run VACs with quality providers out there.

So it looks like this guy is a saint in the court of public opinion, but that is really no surprise. I read the comments on an EMS website or two and it looks like the only ones that think this kid is a jackass is us and that other website who shall not be named.

The volley system in NYS is like a bunch of little kingdoms where the VAC sets the rules. I doubt there is a rule like that. Usually it is, if you get a call, get your crew and go. I wouldn't rip apart all volleys (ERDoc ducks and covers) based on this one guy. There are some pretty well run VACs with quality providers out there.

I'm not going to, tempting as it is. This whole situation, while started because of a bozo and stupid American's, does bring up some questions about this particular vollie group, their practices and SOP's, how well run they are, and how well they really serve the community.

If the average person had a quarter of a clue they would be more concerned about that and not some punk 20 year old wannabe hero.

As a side note, the comments in the various newspapers and EMS related news sites from people alleging to be EMT's and Paramedics are extemely scary...

My wife and I saw this on the news. At the time, I thought, okay, do the right thing. But then as I looked at the situation, not knowing the backstory going on, questions popped into our heads. 1) if they have a age limitation for vehicle opeation, why was he allowed to work? The board should have told him that they would hold his application until after he turned 21yo. Then he would be authorized to drive. 2) Who made the decision to send the other truck on the low priority call instead of the seizure call? While I understand that it was a volunteer service, that is regardless. Seizing 4yo female? PRIORITY!! 3) What happened to the medic that went direct? He had to have known that this guy wasn't allowed to drive the truck. 4) Where I work, our crews are NEVER separated! Why wasn't the medic at the base?

I take the side of the service when it comes to disciplining the EMT, but they also need to look at themselves in the mirror. If you are going to bring personnel that are under the age of 21, you are setting yourself up for this situation to occur again. Do I think the kid did the right thing? To a certain extent. However, that is no substitute for following procedures and regulations. That is why they are there. This is going to be a story I will relate to my new class of EMT students in January.

From reading the various news stories linked by ER DOC, the Paramedic was on a fly car and on scene. The wanker was at the station with 2 other EMT's who went to the low acuity call and when no one showed up to drive for the high priority seizure call, he decided to be the hero even though he knew he was not allowed to drive by company policies.

• Like 1

He's 20 years old and the 'squad leader'??

Why, since there was a Paramedic on scene, didn't he just give a benzo and transport the now 'sleeping child' when a unit cleared up?

Hell if this was a febrile seizure, it's hardly even an emergency!

We need to remember that this is a volley squad so it doesn't run like a paid system where you have crews in house. Most vollies allow you to respond from wherever you are. The paramedic that went to the scene either went in a first responder/fly car and they usually don't carry controlled substances. Or, he may have just been near-by and responded in his personal vehicle. Most vollies take anyone 18+, even if they can't drive. Like I said before, my VAC had a similar rule, but with the caveat that if someone over 18 was there but not a certified driver, they could roll the ambulance, but no lights and no sirens. As for the squad leader, it sounds like he was a youth squad leader where the company had a youth squad for kids in high school to try to build interest in EMS in them.

But was the paramedic part of the vollunteer service (as a secret paid person they neglect to mention as so often happens...) or was he part of a professional ALS service that relies on other local agencies for transport?

There are still questions that remain to be answered, or at least should be answered to get a real understanding of what's going on.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.