California employment requirements

I'm moving to California, and trying to puzzle through all the required documents to apply to work at AMR. I received my state california card through reciprocity, but to apply for work I need

* CA Drivers’ License

* H-6 DMV Print out of Driving Record (Online printout not acceptable)

* Ambulance Driver’s License

* Medical Examiner’s Card

Getting a regular CA driver's license I assume will be a fairly straight forward process, just turning in my other state's license.

For the Ambulance driver's license, it says I need to take a test... Does any have information on what is tested? Is there a book available, like there is for regular permit tests to study from? Also, it says a medical examination report is required... Is there only 1 of these, or is there a separate medical examiner's card I need to get also?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

• 2 weeks later...

On the California DMV website, there should be an "Ambulance Driver Certificate" manual available. Once on their site, just search for Ambulance Driver Handbook. There's no "behind the wheel" test for this. Read the manual a few times and then go take the exam. The Medical Exam is actually pretty simple. You pick up the forms at the DMV and take them with you to be filled out by the examiner. The DMV keeps the actual form and you end up keeping the examiner's card. The permit and examiner's card must be current for you to legally drive an ambulance. When you go to get your H-6 print out, ask the clerk what the exact process is for getting the Certificate. I know it'll involve being Live Scanned, taking a written exam, and having a medical exam done. There's no behind the wheel exam that I know of. I remember the process being relatively straightforward, and a bit cumbersome, just typical DMV stuff. They might ask to see your EMT or Paramedic license. It's a little expensive (mostly because of the Live Scan, I think) but it shouldn't be prohibitively horrible.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.