Good ways to kill patients

281mustang

I've been out of school for about 2 years and will be out in the field in a few weeks. I have no EMS experience beyond clinicals and am obviously a bit apprehensive about taking on the responsibility.

Use this thread to list common pitfalls that can result in death/harm to patients. Things along the lines of giving an inferior MI w/ right side involvement nitro, overhydrating shock patients, decreasing preload as a result of overventilation during codes, etc.

I may not be a 'good' Medic right out of the gate but if I can acquire the necessary experience without killing anybody I'll be content with that.

Thanks!

OK, but for every one we put, you have to put one too. You have 3, so here are 3 more.

Unnecessary spinal immobilization with LSB.

Being too proud to ditch ett after a couple attempts, and moe to alternative airways.

Leaving Paramedic school, and never looking at legit medical literature again, and instead relying on repetition (calling it experience) to maintain competence.

Being too proud to ditch ett after a couple attempts, and moe to alternative airways.

Not doing something different with each attempt at ETT placement. Doing the same thing over and over will give you the same results over and over.

• Like 1

A crew I may or may not have known or worked with may or may not have gone into a hospital where nurses may or may not have confused vancomycin and vecuronium.

OP, you should check out emcrit's series of podcasts on the "Laryngoscope as a murder weapon."

A crew I may or may not have known or worked with may or may not have gone into a hospital where nurses may or may not have confused vancomycin and vecuronium.

:wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

Giving Succinylcholine to a patient and not doing anything about it. YES it did happen to a nurse from a previous job. It's a long story but terrible story.

Giving Succinylcholine to a patient and not doing anything about it. YES it did happen to a nurse from a previous job. It's a long story but terrible story.

Seen that too.

Used as a restraint....fail

Good thing I was there to find a bvm.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.