Medic One in Seattle?

Caduceus

Looking for help from a Medic One EMT-P. . .

I live in Washington state and someday I would really like to work with Medic One in Seattle. The problem is I don't live in King County now, and it seems like Medic One is pretty selective in who they hire and tend to choose students who have always lived in King County. . .?

I plan on getting my EMT-B as soon as I grad. high school, and get three years of volunteer work under my belt before applying. But since I am fifteen now, what are some things that I could do NOW that would look good on an application later?

Edited by Caduceus

I spoke with Seattle FD about the process that one would become a SFD paramedic (aka Medic One). I was told that even if I was already certified as a Paramedic in Washington State or NR, I would have to be hired as and work as a Firefighter for a minimum of 3 years. After 3 years I could apply to the Medic One program & if accepted I would have to go through their paramedic training program via Harborview Medical Center. (Even if already a paramedic, you have to go back & do it again). Once you complete that training you are promoted to FF/Paramedic & you work as a paramedic on the Medic One trucks & no longer as a firefighter.

While I was kinda surprised with the part about having to go back to medic school being that you would be on the clock for that it wasn't as big a deal for me as the fact that I would have to work as a firefighter for 3 years.

Forgive my long response, Seattle is an amazing city with an excellent standard of care for their citizens and it would have been great to go be a participant in that excellence. Sadly, I don't want to fight fires.

Good luck, you have plenty of time to decide.

Jennifer

NYC Paramedic

ps I spoke with them about 2-3 years ago so this is relatively fresh information.

Edited by IrishEDP
  • Like 1

My old partner works out there now. No matter your current education or experience, if you want to be a KCMO paramedic you go to their paramedic school. It is an extremely competitive hiring process.

What can you do now? Focus on your education. A well rounded education encompassing a solid science foundation along with a good liberal arts balance will help mold you into someone who both knows the medicine but also knows how to deal/work with people.

Also, learn how to play and play well. It's all about balance.

My old partner works out there now. No matter your current education or experience, if you want to be a KCMO paramedic you go to their paramedic school. It is an extremely competitive hiring process.

What can you do now? Focus on your education. A well rounded education encompassing a solid science foundation along with a good liberal arts balance will help mold you into someone who both knows the medicine but also knows how to deal/work with people.

Also, learn how to play and play well. It's all about balance.

Didn't you mean a Medic One rather than KCMO paramedic? My understanding from a couple of KC MO fire fighters is that the only true requirements to be a paramedic in KC MO is that you are a paramedic, you are a fire fighter and you pissed someone off thus making them put you on the ambulance.

From what my friends say, the ambulance is indeed the punishment mode of choice at KCMOFD. But that was information about a year ago that they told me that.

Edited by Captain ToHellWithItAll

@IrishEDP

That's with the fire department as some kind soul explained to me, I'm looking at KCM1 which is a separate thing that you don't have to spend years as an FF. All in all thanks for the advice guys.

King County Medic One does NOT require you to be a firefighter. King County Medic One is a separate entity that partners with local fire departments. It is overseen by University of Washington which is why all training will come from UW / Harborview.

Seattle Fire Medics are part of KCMO, however they hire from within. Seattle does require you to be a firefighter / EMT for three years. The requirements for admitance into the Medic One program are 3 years of field EMS service. There is no requirement that you have fire experience. King County Medic One (KCMO) will hire you directly from the street. Once you are accepted into their program you are an employee of KCMO. Upon graduation, you will be assigned to a fire station to staff a Medic Unit.

I work BLS for AMR in Seattle. There is no ALS service other than Medic One. This is a requirement of Dr. Copis (spelling?). There are remarkably few medic units in Seattle / King County. Seattle has 7 Medic Units for the entire city. As a result, even though we are BLS, we take and treat a lot of patients that would go by ALS units elsewhere.

Medic One does not care if you work for private or public EMS as long as your getting full time ambulance experience. I will tell you, having worked hand in hand with students, it is not an easy program. The current batch of students is currently in their field rotations. The amount of time spent in the field is staggering. I can't remember the hours, but they have told me that if you have a social life it will go away. It is a very competitive program. You would have better luck getting into the program at TCC or Central.

I have met some top quality Medics and I have met some not so good Medics. My opinion is this, if you are going to have a heart attack then Medic One Paramedics are the best in the world. If you are hurt or have other injury there is a lot where we are lagging behind other areas.

Thanks for the info, Mike. All in all I know it's competitive but I think I can get in. It's cool you work in Seattle, I'd like to work there someday if the cost of living wasn't over the roof.