Chest Pain

perimeter

Yeah I thought about that, we have IN/IM fentanyl and midazolam plus IM and oral ketamine.

Not sure I'd go down the IM route to be honest given that in the patient who is very compromised absorption is likely to be prolonged.

Could always get an EJ or IO but again, if the patient is peri-arrest then the balance of risk vs benefit is in favour of just cardioverting him anyway without it, it sounds barbaric no two ways about it but I am sure he'd rather be alive and have a bit of a sore chest.

Just to clarify are you a paramedic student? Or are you a paramedic? Have you taken ACLS yet? Answers to these will help frame answers from here on out.

What was your impression of this guy? Was he sick? Or not sick? Stable? Not stable?

You decided not to cardiovert him. Why? What was your thinking?

My impression was that he was sick. I decided not to cardiovert because in my mind he was "stable" for his condition and I'd rather hold on to what I had (awake, good BP) and wait until I had extra help in the ER in case the cardioversion went south and he converted to a less stable rhythm.

My impression was that he was sick. I decided not to cardiovert because in my mind he was "stable" for his condition and I'd rather hold on to what I had (awake, good BP) and wait until I had extra help in the ER in case the cardioversion went south and he converted to a less stable rhythm.

With a 7 minute drive and your assessment of his being sick but not sick enough to cardiovert, the decision to hold off till you arrived at the ER was I believe a sound one. Had you had a longer drive to the ED then I might have gone a different route.

• Like 1

only one asa ??

standard is 325 mg po per AHA.

Why did you not have IV access?

With that pressure he should have plenty of choices .

Did you start low & small or jump right on a big bore @ AC?

I'd much rather have a good flowing 22 or 20 in the hand or wrist than blowing big bore in the AC's.

Have to ask as I see this regularly with new medics.

what did the veins in his feet look like? or didn't you look?

We're not picking on you here, just triyng to figure out the why of the pt and call. and the care provider involved .