Search warrants and poss unethical searches

Just Plain Ruff

Things like this are often done in relation to complaints from the community after there have been a large number of thefts. For a lot of these people, their bike is their only mode of transportation. To lose that means to lose their freedom to get around and possibly their ability to get to work. They're not going to use an expensive bike because that will be too obvious.

Possibly. However, it wasn't stated, directly or indirectly that this was the reason for the sting operation. It appeared to be a very poor inner-city "hood," where I'm guessing the majority of petty thefts go unreported to police. The thrust of the operation seemed to be an excuse to catch young black men doing something "illegal" as an excuse to search them for drugs or other contraband (not that they need a particularly valid reason for this, as the original article points out). Don't get me wrong, these guys are stealing the bike, which is illegal and are caught red handed. To me it appears that the cops in question are using a lot more resources than are required for the nature of the crime.

..and ERdoc, touche for the buzz lightyear xray. But in the case described here, is it likely that if a pouch of drugs had been inserted in the mans rectum, hastily as he was pulled over by the police, that it would travel a significant distance into the colon?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.