A Sick Child

Kiwiology

That is the scary part about medicine. Not everyone follows the textbook. I had a guy this past summer who was a roofer and was roofing in 90+ degree, humid weather. He developed a heachache that got progressively worse and was feeling nauseous. No h/o migraine or other headaches. Gave him fluids and meds with some improvement. Decided to CT him since he still had a headache. CT was normal. Gave some more pain meds. Decided to bite the bullet and LP him. Can back with a large amount of blood. Dude ended up with a sentinel bleed some a small aneurysm. This guy could easily have been sent home.

• Like 1

That is the scary part about medicine. Not everyone follows the textbook. I had a guy this past summer who was a roofer and was roofing in 90+ degree, humid weather. He developed a heachache that got progressively worse and was feeling nauseous. No h/o migraine or other headaches. Gave him fluids and meds with some improvement. Decided to CT him since he still had a headache. CT was normal. Gave some more pain meds. Decided to bite the bullet and LP him. Can back with a large amount of blood. Dude ended up with a sentinel bleed some a small aneurysm. This guy could easily have been sent home.

And that is why you are an ER god.

We could fix that...

It's more trusting your instincts that something just isn't right. I had a doc ask me a while back, "Well does she look sick" I replied, yes, very. Doc: "Ok send her out to the ER"

I like doc's like that.

So this scenario was more of a "Would you leave this kid at home" poll than an actual scenario in EMTCity terms.

In that case, no. If a child is at all unwell I always transport or have the parent transport.