Prescription Drug Abuse

paramedicmike

I try to look for every patient. Sometimes people will know what medications they're on. But we all know that the longer the list of meds the less likely they are to know what they're actually taking (e.g. "... well, there's a water pill... a sugar pill... a pressure bill... a heart pill... a green pill... a purple pill... the pill I take in the morning..."). At least this way I can see what's been filled for them recently. Using that list they might recognize the names of the medicines if I ask them.

Don't forget Dr. House.

People Lie.

The lengths people go to to get their hands on drugs are kind of astounding. Abusing prescriptions, stealing a friend's pills, or, what the hell, let's just rob the pharmacy!

Really, there seems to be three types of people: The people who actually need the meds and take them right; the people who needed the meds but keep taking them and abusing them; and the people who need the meds but won't take them out of pride.

Also that.

Anti-anxiety meds tend to be something that goes along with dentist appointments for some people, needed or not.

I have to do relaxation exercises before I let those evil dental people anywhere near my mouth with those medieval pikes of pain that they use to scrape off the tartar. I can just feel them removing the top layer of skin from my gums.

With the EDS, my gums bleed constantly, even though I floss and brush daily, just very fragile skin. Every time I have my teeth cleaned I bleed like a stuck pig then get yelled at for poor dental hygiene. So that and the fact that they like to dislocate my jaw everytime means I get knocked out and see a oral/maxillofacial surgeon every time.

Edited by scubanurse

Wasn't joking when I said what I said, that's just how I deal with my mom's fear of dentists. She has to take a muscle relaxant/anti-anxiety med every time she goes 'cuz her dentist is such a jerk. I.E., he cracked her tooth the other day trying to fit her dentures. -_-"