There's an app for that

ERDoc

Disclaimer: I have no financial interest in this app. I just think it sounds pretty cool.

I was reading one of the ER magazines and came across a review of a new app for the iPhone 4S and 5 called MedSnap ID. It let's you take a picture of any pill and will provide the name for you. The app is free but there is an annual licensing fee of $69.99 and you have to purchase a small plastic card that you use when you take the picture which costs $19.99 for two. Putting cost aside, it sounds like a pretty cool thing to have in the field when you don't have access to something like micromedix.

Wow that actually sounds really cool. Surprising what they come up with these days. Kind of pricey but maybe in the future it will become a part of every medical personnel's arsenal. . .

That sounds bloody awesome, especially now as every GP has their patients loaded up on 300 different pills and most of the patients are old and confused and hold up a grocery bag full of medicines in the unlabelled blister packs and go "I don't know love, these are what the doctor has me, I take them, I didn't say I understood them!"

Damn doctors ....

I can't stand real doctors either. The thing that gets me is that every pt can tell you the name, dose, frequency, color, imprint and taste of every narcotic they are on. Ask them about the important things like cardiac meds and they don't have any idea.

• Like 1

See I wouldn't know about that; we don't seem to have the same level of "chronic pain" people who are on a bunch of different narcotics.

And yes, you can swap out the A in FACEM for Australasian pretty easy your Consultantship ... plus its summer here :)

Edited by Kiwiology

I just went to the Itunes store, funny how they don't show you the price of the app until you download the product. The initial product is free and then they hit you with a subscription fee.

Not saying that's a bad thing, but I've looked all over their site and all over Itunes and I find nothing about price on their website.

They do say there is a subscription fee required though.

This is what really pisses me off about these types of things, you get a free app but if you want the real deal, you gotta get the subscription which doesn't make it free anymore. Sure the download is free but it's NOT free is it in the end.

So the true cost of the app is 90 bucks for the first year. Makes me wonder what the Android version will cost.

Edited by Captain ToHellWithItAll

I guess I will have to wait until the Android version comes out to have a looksy at it ... seeing as how I am not an Apple drone

And you are right Emergentologist; its FACEP whereas we have ACEM (Australasian College for Emergency Medicine).

Doesn't change the fact it summer down here tho and you are guaranteed to earn $150 k a year minimum. One of the Consultants at MMH ED is American, nice bloke.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.