Is this person a good friend, or do I need to put some distance?

Caduceus

Yeah. . .that's a really good perspective that you gave me there. I can see how they would think that way, especially if they have kids of their own.

Damn so I'm lumped in with the rest is what you're saying? I'm not mad; I get it, but boy does it suck. I'll just have to follow everyone's advice and sped s'more time around the crews at events and stuff before I ask. I'll be sixteen in a few months, too, so that will help to wait.

But even so I have a really hard time around other teens because they are so airheaded. I just don't think like that. I'm pretty introverted and the things that they say, id est, the way they talk about boys and singers and moviestars. . .I hate it. I can't engage. I don't know if there is something socially wrong with me or what, but I'm better at talking to adults than kids my age.

I donno, this is the most 15-year-old I think you guys have seen in me since I signed on. Hope this doesn't hurt my rep around here too much. . .

Yeah. . .that's a really good perspective that you gave me there. I can see how they would think that way, especially if they have kids of their own.

Damn so I'm lumped in with the rest is what you're saying? I'm not mad; I get it, but boy does it suck. I'll just have to follow everyone's advice and sped s'more time around the crews at events and stuff before I ask. I'll be sixteen in a few months, too, so that will help to wait.

So your job from here on out is to get to know the guys at your chosen station, let them get to know you and if you can prove the "Immature factor and belief" wrong and show them that you have a pretty good head on your shoulders, then it's only a matter of time before you get that coveted ride along. It can be done but you are going to have to prove yourself.

I will then! Thanks for your help on this rather menial topic. :/ I've been trying to talk to someone about volunteering at the football games, thinking at the end of this week. Thanks for the help Capt and everyone!

I can't believe I just trusted her like that--she hadn't earned it at all. And man you just never can trust humans can you?

The more people I meet, the more I like my dog.

Anonymous

Edited by Richard B the EMT

• 2 weeks later...

I am so angry because I trusted her to have my back. You never, EVER leave another girl alone. My friend's an airhead and maybe she doesn't get this.

But basically I just need some help especially from other women and girls on here. How do I deal with this? I want to tell my friend exactly why I am upset. I will. I've been friends with this girl for ten years, and I never expected this of her. What do I do?

That was certainly an unkind thing for your friend to do. From reading your response, you seem to have a good grasp of how you want to handle the situation, by approaching her. It seems at the time of the original posting you were a bit emotional from the experience (which is expected, not to be taken as a fault). Sometimes it is okay to handle things while being emotional, as it certainly can add to whatever message you are trying to make (though should be reserved for certain circumstances probably). Otherwise, taking a step back and waiting until the brunt of the hard feelings passes gives you access to better tools you may use to handle a situation, such as logic and reasoning as Mikey said. Being a smooth operator in sticky situations will always make you the winner. Just sayin'...

You asked what do you do... Well, what happened to you is an experience, and one that left you in a vulnerable position. To me, it seems this situation is one to store away and use to guide future encounters with your friend. It is up to you if you want to keep the friend's company, though if you do or do not, it is up to you to use this experience to keep from being stuck in the same situation. If you do get stuck in the same situation again, you'll get to claim your own asphalt. (ha, see what I did with that? Being left on the street... ah nevermind...)

About you not being ready to do a ride along because you are an emotional 15 year old is true and false. Its easy for people to judge you based on age rather than character. Hell, it happens all the time with old folks. They say respect your elders, I say respect persons that deserve it, and base it off their qualities rather than physical age. Judging someone by their young age is not showing respect IMO. That is one of the real reasons you are probably not going to be able to do a ride along. The thing is right now you will just have to navigate the waters working against you. There is still much for you to learn (and most of us too, I suspect) but it seems to get easier and clearer in how you will handle these different situations. I think you show capability and maturity advanced of your physical age which is what the world needs to see in youth. Keep it up !

• 2 weeks later...

@Mateo

Yeah, I was kinda emotional. :/ I did wait a time to let things settle in myself before I talked to her. All in all it turned out okay, just some trust needs rebuilt and actually earned.

Not only do I use it with that friend, but I am more careful with who I trust now when I go out places. I make sure I have at least one reliable person in my group.

That last paragraph was great. I really appreciated that, all in all, it is difficult to prove to people that yes I am mature enough to at least be considered for it. I appreciate adults with views like you, you mean the world to us kids.

Thanks for the reply.