Passed North Carolina EMT-Basic test (are state standards not yet = NREMT?)

I took the NC state test the end of October. It seemed that there were some questions which did not follow the newest training by National Standards we were taught. In particular, are some states, such as NC, still recognizing the use of pressure points for bleeding? I passed with a good score, but was confused on several points wondering what was the correct reasoning. I have been told that I "overthink" and get in trouble that way.

Looking forward to getting on a truck soon, was a volunteer fire fighter in the 90's and miss it.

Unfortunately, that's part of the game that is EMS testing. New updates in care, new research findings, new technologies make their appearance and it can be a while for Registry and especially state tests to update their questions. Sometimes one organization makes their changes faster than others.

This is also part of the game of taking care of patients. New research teaches one practice. Local practice guidelines dictate another practice. Which do you follow? The new recommended way? Or the old guideline way?

Over-thinking can be a problem if you let it paralyze you on scene with a sick patient. Sometimes you need to make a decision and run with it. The trick is to make sure you have a reasoned decision making process and can defend those decisions after the fact with either solid science or, depending on the situation and legal issues, your local treatment guidelines.

Your learning will never stop. Well, your learning should never stop. You're going to need to keep up with trends and changes to be successful.

Congrats on passing your exams. Now the learning, and fun, really begins.

• 3 weeks later...

Checking the NC procedures, pressure points are not specifically listed. That being said, it does not specifically prohibit it either. It uses language such as "control bleeding with standard technique" (saw this one on the tourniquet procedure page).

Congratulations on passing the exam !

The same things happens at every level. I took my EM boards about a year or two after the big ACLS revisions in 2006. The exams were not updated to we had to answer the questions on the written based on the old guidelines and the oral based on the new ones.

• 1 month later...

I remember my EMT instructor saying a few years ago that "Tourniquets are coming back next year." and he postulated that was so because they were being used by US soldiers in war zones abroad. Turns out he was right. I'll spare you the details, but I took an online exam when I tried out for an agency in NC and there were questions regarding whether a tourniquest should be used or not. The correct answer was to use the tourniquet. I also bought some study materials (including a few very handy Andoid apps!) and they all said to use a tourniquet, so it would seem their use has become not only widespread but probably standard by now. Seems a tourniquest would make more sense for heavy bleeding if for no other reason (aside from that they're effective) you can have your hands free to do whatever else the patient needs done to them rather than holding your hand on a pressure point. Shalom

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.