UK based AREMT courses

Hello, I'm currently an EMT-B in the UK and I'd like to advance to EMT-I if possible. Does anyone know if there are any courses run in the UK to AREMT-I standard ? I already know about SCMTs CEC course that includes an EMT-I qual but I can't do that course due to time constraints with my young family. Any info would be greatly received. Cheers IcePax Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

EMT-B does not exist in the UK , anyone claiming to offer such as course is effectively offering a first aid course with toys added. EMT-I does not exist i nthe Uk as there is no legal means to enable EMT-I scope of practice.

AREMT certification / registration holds little eight in Ausd and precisely Zero weight in the UK

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe this bloke is an ECA? (the worst level ever designed ... way to go UK, way to go, not)

Anyway, the basic lowdown is that down in Australasia you now require a Bachelors Degree to become a Paramedic and a PGDip ontop to become an Intensive Care Paramedic; think of an Australasian Paramedic as like a super educated upskilled UK Paramedic (SRP) and an ICP as more towards the CCP level in the UK.

AREMT is a joke, it's even more of a joke than me, and it will get you nowhere. Believe nothing you are told by anybody from there, its run by some hack muppet dreamer and is laughed at by anybody even remotely connected to the professional Ambulance Services.

kiwi

ECAs are fit for purpose as assistants / bag monkeys / drivers , the real issue is the Uniscum morons who thought a 6 week course was enough for band 5 and pushed and pushed for techs in band 5 despite the fact existing staff would have got a 2k pay rise on a rotating shift pattern if they had accepted the ( correct) banding of band 4.

I will vow to my dying breath that ECA is the worst level ever introduced. Absolute rubbish, if I am a Paramedic (in UK terms) I want somebody to work with who can actually touch patients and do more than be a stretcher fetcher / driver and not leave me alone to make all the clinical decisions and carry full legal responsibility, somebody who can help me by putting in an IV or something while I do other things, not some muppet with a six week course who I can't turn to and say "does this look like a STEMI imposter to you" or "gosh is this the flu or early meningococcal septicaemia, do you think we should leave this person at home?"

We have a level similar to ECA called an Ambulance Assistant but they are only used as a last resort in rural areas where we cannot get a second person who is at least an EMT. It would never be utilised as a business as usual concept.

Damn UK you crazy ... but um, can you make me some fish and chips now please? :)

Hi Zippy, i'm amazed that you think EMT-B doesn't exist in the UK. The statutory services (NHS) don't employ AREMTs but they do employ EMTs (just ask London Ambulance Service). EMT-B and EMT-I are recognised in the private sector in the UK certainly by the 4 companies that I work for and countless other companies I know of both over here and in Europe so that was a bit of a sweepingly dismissive statement. The CEC course i mentioned that includes EMT-I, has the same scope to practise as IHCD Tech although admittedly it's likely to take a while before the NHS recognise it. No, I'm not an ECA I don't work for the statutory ambulance service I have a day job outside of healthcare. I cover private event work or private patient transports. I have no interest in becoming a Paramedic as, although I enjoy the Medical side I can't afford the paycut. AREMT-B, IHCD FPOS-I

• Like 1

Hi Zippy, i'm amazed that you think EMT-B doesn't exist in the UK. The statutory services (NHS) don't employ AREMTs but they do employ EMTs (just ask London Ambulance Service). EMT-B and EMT-I are recognised in the private sector in the UK certainly by the 4 companies that I work for and countless other companies I know of both over here and in Europe so that was a bit of a sweepingly dismissive statement. The CEC course i mentioned that includes EMT-I, has the same scope to practise as IHCD Tech although admittedly it's likely to take a while before the NHS recognise it. No, I'm not an ECA I don't work for the statutory ambulance service I have a day job outside of healthcare. I cover private event work or private patient transports. I have no interest in becoming a Paramedic as, although I enjoy the Medical side I can't afford the paycut. AREMT-B, IHCD FPOS-I

EMT-B does not exist in any recognisable form the UK, the NHS or VASes don't put anyone with 110 hours of training on an ambulance, even PTS staff have more than that .

IHCD techs are not equivalent to US DoT EMT- I ( regardess of 85 or 99 ) , they have greater knowledge but a shorter laundry list of monkey-see, monkey-do skills .

EMT-I skill set is not facilitated by UK medicines legislation as there would be no legal means for a none Health Professional to adminster Parenteral Medications not included in the schedule 7 list - as the MHRA have stated they will not be supporting any more exemption requests after the Mountain rescue one .

The NHS service have no interest in recognising any qualification beyond the existing IHCD courses or HCPC registration as a Paramedic

the fact you think a 16 hour course (FPOS-I) is a post nominal demonstrates just how little you actually know aoburt Prew-hospital care preparation for practice .

• Like 1

Well said mate, clearly this bloke is a muppet.

Seeing as how AREMT has no valid way to issue certifications as it is a play group for hack dreamers that doesn't count and FPOS is hardly much better.

Clearly this guy should be nick round to jobs in the Skoda BASICS Doctor wheels.

Best be off, need to get some kip, but before I do time for a spot of grub

Nee naw, nee naw, air horn, air horn, out of the way! .... Red base November 100 on location, yes, can I have some toasted muffins and jam with my tea please? need to eat before I sleep for work tonight! :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.