Diesel vs Gas Ambulances

As in mounting your old boxes onto a pickup instead of a van chassis? If that's the case you should see some serous benefits as long as you don't need the tighter maneuverability of a van. Pickups are easier to work on which should help reduce maintenance costs. Also if you have need for a 4x4 unit it's dramatically easier/cheaper to put it on a pickup chassis than have a van chassis modified.

Regardless of what you like or dislike, I have noted that my company has several Chevy Duramaxes with close to or over 300k on them (and yes, they run well, we are not a poor company with a bunch of raggedy pieces of shit on the road like AMR or RM), that was unheard of with the Ford 6.0, or gasoline engines back in the day. Now of course, the new gasoline engines have not had been around long enough to see how long they will last, but with today's technology, I am sure they will last longer than their grandfathers did. The old rule was that you got rid of, or remounted an ambulance at 100k miles (gas or diesel), say 15 years ago.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.