Cloudy urine in trauma

mobey

I try to use the KED as much as possible for patients with a longer transport or in situations where offload delay is expected. Still considered full SMR, easier to pad and make them more comfortable, and patients I've had in a KED for 3 hours have far fewer complaints of SMR induced back pain than those restrained to the backboard for that amount of time.

I try to use the KED as much as possible for patients with a longer transport or in situations where offload delay is expected. Still considered full SMR, easier to pad and make them more comfortable, and patients I've had in a KED for 3 hours have far fewer complaints of SMR induced back pain than those restrained to the backboard for that amount of time.

Just don't try that here in the west!

I also did it commonly in Sk.... glad to hear you all still use your heads. The monkeys are too dominant here for that.

I have to head west sometime and do some ride alongs to see how different things are out there.. I'd be interested to see how some of the integrated systems work for you. Will you be attending the GlobalMedic cross country training session when it passes through Calgary?

Integraded shmintegraded.

Remote 911 ALS care is where it is at brutha! I'm not really into the Globalmedic thing, these days I like my days off to be - days off.

Shoot me a PM sometime, I'd love to have ya out for a ride along.

I'll take a stab at this! I'm just bouncing idea's around, so let me know if I'm out to lunch here.

Phosphaturia! And if I had to guess some mechanisms, maybe an increase in serum calcium 2ndary to the trauma and #'s, leading to increased excretion of phosphate, leading to milky urine output.

Or maybe the patient just drank a lot of milk or milk-based alcoholic beverages before their high-speed-collision. But that doesn't sound as cool as phosphaturia. Bailey's anyone?

As a side note, if you market "Mobey's Hybrid Selective Comfort Spinal Motion Restriction", I'd like to create a jingle for advertising. M-H-S-C-SMR rolls so nicely off the tongue...

Yes, anyone over 65 does not qualify for the exclusion according to either NEXUS or Canadian C-Spine, I don't recall off the top of my head

Good news Mobey. I'm doing reviews of the revised Alberta EMS protocols coming out in Dec (supposedly). In the draft for the new algorithm concerning C-spine injury they are dropping the over 65 criteria.

Good news Mobey. I'm doing reviews of the revised Alberta EMS protocols coming out in Dec (supposedly). In the draft for the new algorithm concerning C-spine injury they are dropping the over 65 criteria.

The 70 year old kyphosis patients will be so happy!

Just don't try that here in the west!

I also did it commonly in Sk.... glad to hear you all still use your heads. The monkeys are too dominant here for that.

I recall those particular monkeys. My recomendation, particularly for those likely to remain in spinal precautions for a prolonged period, would be to use a spinal rated scoop instead of a board. The curve of the scoop, and the space between the halves in line with the spine, make it dramatically more comfortable. If you have a couple of those polar fleece blankets I know a great procedure to use them to pad up a scoop for those interfacility transports when a patient can't be cleared by x-ray. The average SMR practice in Alberta gives me nightmares when I think of the ridiculous number of unduly caused pressure sores that result from it.

• Like 1

Is it possible that the acute epigastric pain could have been a traumatic renal injury? I'd be leaning towards rhabdo spillage myself... was the milky UOP the same amount per hour as the previous UOP? Or did it increase?

Wendy

CO EMT-B

RN-ADN

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.