What would you do?

ERDoc

I used to work with a woman who would intubate opiate overdoses and then slam 2mg of narcan. The patient would wake up pissed, confused and gagging because of the tube down their throat. As the patient was typically on the stretcher at this point and appropriately restrained for transport s/he couldn't get up which would just incite more anger.

Yeah. That did not go over well. Not with me. Not with the patient. Not with the boss. And most importantly not with the medical director.

I used to work with a woman who would intubate opiate overdoses and then slam 2mg of narcan. The patient would wake up pissed, confused and gagging because of the tube down their throat. As the patient was typically on the stretcher at this point and appropriately restrained for transport s/he couldn't get up which would just incite more anger.

Yeah. That did not go over well. Not with me. Not with the patient. Not with the boss. And most importantly not with the medical director.

Sounds to me like someone should have gone to jail.

and the patient should have been given the providers address so she could go beat her ass

I try not to encourage violence as it only creates more work for me, especially the kind that may result in lacerations requiring sutures (more work than it is worth).

I try not to encourage violence as it only creates more work for me, especially the kind that may result in lacerations requiring sutures (more work than it is worth).

I was only joshin, but this provider needs to be prosecuted in my opinion

It's been years since I worked with the person in question. There was backlash from the medical director but I don't know how far that went. I couldn't even tell you if this person is still working as a medic or not.

Sometimes, you just need to distance yourself from events, people and places. Sometimes, there just isn't enough distance.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.