What would you do?

ERDoc

Yeah, plus you may as well spread the love and give the admitting doc something to do. If you are really lucky everybody will complain about going IO even though it's a quick, safe and effective option...but that is another discussion.

I can hear the ICU teams now... "What the hell is this?!" :D

Aw, come on now. You can't dump your responsibility on another provider. IO isn't an option since you cannot give contrast, nor can you through a foot or IJ. You drop in subclavian line that works well. What do you need to do next?

Sorry, I'm being vague. I know it is not EMS level stuff but what do you think is one of the most common adverse events with the insertion of a subclavian line? Let's let the people without hospital experience take a stab at it first. Hint, think of the anatomy.

I'll go with perforation causing hemothorax (though I think pneumo is more likely).

As a side note, when this lady was in her excited state I would have been quite aggressive with benzo's. Elderly just can't handle this much stress.

The subclavian vein sits in close proximity to the lung (as well as a few other things). Sometimes an iatrogenic pneumothorax can be produced. Since you are working with Murphy today, you get the CT which shows no pneumonia or PE but does show a small pneumothorax. Does this pt need a needle decompression? Why or why not? Does she need a chest tube? Why or why not?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.