Becoming an EMT with no work experience

Seth412

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. That's not an accelerated course. That's a normal time for an EMT class.

So is it just your job schedule conflicting with class? Or are you have some time management struggles?

Or are you really just conflicted because you're enjoying working for UPS more than you thought you would and are second guessing your motivation to be an EMT?

Run of the mill? Mine was 9 months long!

Wow. Most EMT classes are 1 semester or shorter. I did mine during summer session. I then completed the EMT-I (or now AEMT) portion in two more semesters.

I'd say it's more of the time management variety. I have trouble getting myself going on my days off. I wouldn't say that my job is making me second guess EMS. Definitely not something I can see myself doing long term. The plan is ultimately to quit as soon as I land a job on as an EMT.

But I was under the impression that normally, an EMT course was a two quarter sequence.

Some courses, such as Mari's, are longer. However, for EMT-B, that is rare. Most courses are of the two week accelerated course to three month standard length course variety. Some classes may be four months if they stretch it.

Why are you under the impression that EMT-B is a two quarter sequence?

When you say you're having trouble getting yourself going what do you mean? Like depression kind of motivational issues? Laziness? Stayed up too late drinking beer and playing video games? Shift work doldrums? Something else?

What's up?

Figuring this out now before getting into EMS, a profession known to have moments of intense emotional stress, might be a good idea so that you've got some good coping mechanisms in place before making the switch.

Let us know. We may be able to help.

The national curriculum for EMT-B is 150 hours didactic and throw in between 20-40 additional hours in some classes for hands on training days.depending on the instructor.

They usually run 2 nights / week for 4-4 hrs and a few 8 hr Saturdays for the practical evolutions.

Wow. Most EMT classes are 1 semester or shorter. I did mine during summer session. I then completed the EMT-I (or now AEMT) portion in two more semesters.

I believe mine was close to 250 hours total. It was made to become a 6 credit, transferrable college credit course. To do this they had to add a couple things to it, including lectures from an attorney, extra a&p, field trips etc.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.