Becoming an EMT with no work experience

Seth412

I posted a thread not too long ago regarding some of my concerns about becoming an EMT. I'd like to thank all who replied.

Another thing that has been eating at me: I recently landed a job at UPS in addition to my EMT course. This job is my first real job outside of working here and there for temp agencies and under the table. Needless to say, my resume doesn't look too impressive.

I love this job, but unfortunately I may have to quit. I'm in one of those accelerated EMT courses and I just can't keep up. I'm about 5 chapters behind, and I can only salvage the course if I drop the job.

This means that my only solid reference is gone. I'm really stressed out about it. Can one have any hope in landing a job anywhere in this field without a steady work history?

I suppose I could drop down to four hours of sleep a night and catch up that way.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love this job, but unfortunately I may have to quit. I'm in one of those accelerated EMT courses and I just can't keep up. I'm about 5 chapters behind, and I can only salvage the course if I drop the job.

I'd start off with, can you complete the course without the funding. If not, you will (have to) figure it out. Then, maybe an accelerated course isn't for you. You may have to slow it down so that you can do both. Not everyone can do an accelerated course and keep up. There are other options out there.

This means that my only solid reference is gone. I'm really stressed out about it. Can one have any hope in landing a job anywhere in this field without a steady work history?

You can, but you may have to work for it and it involves networking. Doing a little volunteer work so people can meet you and get to know you is one way and, in my opinion, a very good way. Also, take the aspects from any job you've ever done and figure out how that can apply to the EMS industry. It may not be medical in reference but it could captivate the customer service aspects, etc.

I suppose I could drop down to four hours of sleep a night and catch up that way.

I don't recommend that as an option but you will do what you need to do if you want it badly enough.

Toni

A job in the hand right now is better than 5 possibles in the future. You can always go back to EMT school, I would stick with UPS for now, and look for an EMT class that meets on nights or weekends, or whatever is opposite your UPS schedule. If you are having trouble with EMTB, I would definitely stick with UPS (you didnt say which class you were taking).

Thanks for the replies, all. It isn't that I'm having trouble with EMT-B, I'm catching on fairly well. It's a matter of having enough time in the day to do all of the reading and assignments on top of working hours which vary widely depending on workload (sometimes I work next to nothing, other times WAY too much).

The issue is, if I drop the EMT course, I'm about $1000 in the hole. Money which I saved up specifically for the course. And I have to do it all over again if I start over with another course.

I don't need the job for the money (parents have no problem helping with expenses so long as I'm in school full time. I have excellent parents). I need it for the reference. It's looking like the choice is going to have to be quitting. I'll go over it in my head a few more times, though. Do I want to save up 1000-1500 for another course in order to keep this reference?

Thanks again, everyone.

If you don't have to work and you want to be an EMT, then by all means take full advantage of the help your parents are providing. My daughter has moved back in so that she can work part time while she goes to school and I think it's a win/win situation!

As to the ultimate question about getting work without the experience...it can happen if the market is right. And, go back to that networking/volunteer thing. Get yourself out there and schmooze!

I don't know, Seth. A good professional reference is hard to come by. If you've got a decent gig at UPS, a well reputed employer from what I understand and people I know who've worked there, I'd be hard pressed to give that up for a job that is going to pay you a lot less. Don't forget, compensation for a job isn't limited to your paycheck. The networking opportunities and the business/professional relationships you build now can benefit, or hurt, you in the long run.

Now, all that being said, there is a flip side to this. You'll forgive me but I forget where you said you were from (if you've said at all). EMT jobs in every place I've lived or worked have been a dime a dozen. Needing a reference for an EMT job isn't always necessary. There are an awful lot of places out there that won't think twice to hire a brand new EMT with limited or no experience on the résumé. Be warned, however, that many of those jobs will have you wish you were back at UPS pretty quickly.

Finding an EMT job with a reputable employer may be a little harder to do.

I can't tell you what you should do. That's your decision alone. You will have your own reasons for doing what you do. I hope, however, that some of the discussion here has at least helped give you some food for thought.

If it helps, most of my time in grad school was spent on around four hours of sleep a night. And I turned out fine.

Except for this twitch... it's hardly noticeable.:bonk:

Seth, thats what I was hoping you would not say. EMTBs are a dime a dozen, and are mostly unemployable in many areas of the country, hopefully your area is NOT one of those and you will be able to get a job right away. But if not, you may have given up a job for a job that does not exist, Before you quit your current job, do some homework about what job is really available for you as an EMTB in your area, and at what pay and benefits ? I do not know what your area of the country garners in relation to EMTB pay, but in my area, UPS has a much superior pay rate and benefit package (they may even offer tuition reimbursement).

Also note, you did not provide your age, but since you are at your first job, I am guessing you are on the younger side. Many agencies can not or will not hire someone below age 23, 22, or 21 --- and most can't insure you as a driver at age 18 or 19. So even though you pass the course, your age may prevent you being hired.

At minimum you need to be an EMT-I or A to have an average chance at employment, and you need to really be a Paramedic to make a good living in this industry. Yes you may lose $1000.00 if you bail on EMT --- but I am betting your UPS job will probably pay you $2-8k more your first year over an EMTB job.

I am in no way suggesting that you give up your dream, my advice would just be to delay that dream for now. We have all had jobs that we were stuck in because the pay and benefits made it too painful to leave, but at this point you do not know that EMS will not be a job you hate 5 years from now (you have no experience at any job). The good news is that you are young, so even if your final decision is the wrong one, it will not be fatal to you, go with your gut --- at worse, you will learn a "life lesson".

Just don't let your dream distract you from the facts of both opportunities. Be objective.

Thanks for the replies, all. It isn't that I'm having trouble with EMT-B, I'm catching on fairly well. It's a matter of having enough time in the day to do all of the reading and assignments on top of working hours which vary widely depending on workload (sometimes I work next to nothing, other times WAY too much).

The issue is, if I drop the EMT course, I'm about $1000 in the hole. Money which I saved up specifically for the course. And I have to do it all over again if I start over with another course.

I don't need the job for the money (parents have no problem helping with expenses so long as I'm in school full time. I have excellent parents). I need it for the reference. It's looking like the choice is going to have to be quitting. I'll go over it in my head a few more times, though. Do I want to save up 1000-1500 for another course in order to keep this reference?

Thanks again, everyone.

Seth, your parents sound like mine were back when I was trying to figure out what I wanted to do. They said they would pay for school and expenses as long as I was enrolled in a school full time.

My advice, take advantage of that help NOW while it's available.

Finsih the EMT class, you will need it for medic school (although I don't understand why we in this day and age still need to be an emt before medic seems counterproductive).

Once you have your EMT go back to work either at a good company (non-ems because EMT's are dimes a dozen) or at a EMS company if you can get hired.

But since you have to have the EMT Class and you have already spent the money on the class you might as well finish it up and you did say you were doing ok in that class.

In the end it's up to you what you do but my wife went through the same thing you are going through and she regrets to this day (15 years) that she didn't finish out the class.

Thank you. For the record, I reside in Clark County, WA. Not much in the way of EMT jobs here unless you're in Fire, as the Medical director doesn't want anyone on the ambulance who can't run an IV. That means at the minimum one has to be IV tech. Very close to me in the Portland, OR area, which is where i currently work and includes a few counties within it. AMR and Metro West operate here and hire EMTs. This is where I'd work if I were to do it locally.

I have an aunt and uncle who live in Seattle, WA, (King County), and they would let me stay with them temporarily if I have a job lined up, which means I can look there as well.

Those are my options.

This whole UPS thing has turned out to remedy itself. All of the new people are temporarily laid off from work on low volume days (goes by seniority), so this past week I've only had to work two days, so I've gotten caught up somewhat. However, once the holidays start rolling around, it will be high volume every day and I'll face this problem again.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.