Off Branded "SAM" splints

miscusi

But if it's an alluminum alloy, how is it radiopaque? That's the question here.

Just what alloy is the off brand that we were shown that made it non-radiopaque?

radiopaque = bad, can't see bones

radiolucent = good, can see bones

Ok good on you for the correction. Feel better now?

So what alloy do you think they are using?

From what I could find around the web looks to be 1199. Out of all the alloys it has the lowest amount of Fe in its composition .0006 to be exact. It also has a high tinsel strength 16700 psi and high yield strength 16000 psi but has a low hardness 31 thus allowing for its easily bendable shape but great strength when applied.

Also the thickness comes into play.

(Densoquick 2, PEHA, Germany) did a test and found "The suitable radiolucency was found in the Al control sample thickness up to 3mm , and the highest rate was for part 1mm in thickness".

So I would assume again that SAM splints being as thin as they are are between 1 and 3mm thick Al 1199.

Edited by uglyEMT

Ok good on you for the correction. Feel better now?

So what alloy do you think they are using?

Its not about feeling better, but about the betterment of EMS overall, one bit at a time.

So I got my fake sam splints in today, made by Everready Frist Aid. UPC 610585816059

It lists on the package 8 attributes. #7 states: "The splint is radiolucent which enables limb to be x-rayed without removal of splint."

I think that's a bold claim if it wasn't true...

41aMmoylY9L.jpg

hold on there on the theft of design thingy...

I looked up Eveready, they are a supply place in Brooklyn. AKA Dixie EMS, www.dixieems.com

I think these americans working there had to have been the ones who copied the design and ordered these non-sam sams.

So either SAM isn't patented or their patent expired or this non sam sam is significantly different...

CE Approved

ISO 13485-2003

PROUDLY MADE IN THE USA

The colors orange and blue for orthopedic splints are registered trademarks of SAM Medical Products; US Trademark Registration No. 3,720,814.

They don't mention a patent for their 36" splint

https://www.google.vu/patents/US3943923?dq=Patent+3943923&hl=en&sa=X&ei=LapPUpyYDtLJ4APG_YCYDg&ved=0CEgQ6AEwAg

I found this, but its from the 70's.. expired ?

Edited by miscusi

So anyway, The package was shrink wrapped which was fine, but when it was opened, there was this chemical smell. Its pretty strong.

no smell if the package wasn't opened.

I find that the SAM sam blue and orange foam was slightly thicker, felt to be a better quality.

my SAM sam sample has no bad smell, but it was an open-air sample I got off the table at the EMS expo in Vegas. so its possible that it aired out over time.

I hung the non sam up near the vent, I'll see what happens.

It was pretty strong when bent in a curve.

The USA spent $35,000.00 to make a pen that would write in space, the Russians used a pencil. For splinting, pillows still work the best in my opinion, but anything that holds a bone in place works, not sure why a SAM splint is any better than any other --- a splint is a splint. If you wish to pay for the name brand, just like a POLO shirt, then so be it, but the shirts that don't have the POLO logo work for me.

** Especially if you are an urban service, where these splints will never be recovered from the ER.

Edited by mikeymedic1984
  • Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.