Hello

EMT-BProbie911

Hello from Saint Cloud Minnesota, How is all the EMT-B students handling all of the exams and skills tests. Always remember I have BSI, Is the scene safe, MOI/NOI determine the number of patients. that is an important thing to remember in the skills test especially the trauma patient assesment. they will fail you if you miss that. Just a heads up. good luck to all. Stay safe!

Yes, I just finished my EMT Basic class and now am studying to sit for the state certification exam. The skills test stuff was like you said, remember to do all that. As one set of replies to a post said, "remember to tell them what you are doing in case they don't see it." On the form I think it says, "verbalizes... taking spinal precautions."

Best of luck on your class and career.

Monte

Mention if you see any bleeding, the ABCs and if there is need for a c collar.

You must mention o2, but you do not need to use it. Sample is to be done as you assess. .

The long spine board gets several in testing. I found taking the straps off completely was my best bet when testing to avoid too much movement.

The best way to handle the spine board is to stand and say, "Based on overwhelming scientific evidence I refuse to cause my patient additional pain and possibly increased morbidity secondary to using this archaic device." And then walk out....

I'm pretty sure that that will go ok....

But be prepared, with many of your EMT B proctors you should be prepared to explain 'overwhelming', 'scientific', 'evidence', 'morbidity', 'secondary', and 'archaic.'

(Not a slam on EMTBs in general, but it's been my experience that many 'B' proctors are very uppity, arrogant, and are in that position as a favor, not because they're the best fit.)

Always verbalize then go over everything again... can't remember where I heard that before :D

Seriously though make sure you verbalize everything besides letting the proctor know what you are doing it is also a tool to help you remember how to do it. It also helps your test partner know what you are about to do and in case you or they miss something the other maybe able to spot it and take corrective measure so as not to fail the practical.

You may run into uppity proctors that fail you on the most mundane thing, don't panic. On the next take try and remember what you failed on and do not repeat it. If you must, try and get a different proctor. As an example I had a proctor that failed me for not tightening the strap on the traction splint "sufficiently" even though I explained that I didn't want to hurt the "patient" by tightening it even further. Second attempt I did it a little tighter she still failed me. Finally got a different proctor and passed with flying colors. Afterwards I asked her why she failed me and blatantly stated its her decision to make if I pass or fail.

The best way to handle the spine board is to stand and say, "Based on overwhelming scientific evidence I refuse to cause my patient additional pain and possibly increased morbidity secondary to using this archaic device." And then walk out....

I'm pretty sure that that will go ok....

But be prepared, with many of your EMT B proctors you should be prepared to explain 'overwhelming', 'scientific', 'evidence', 'morbidity', 'secondary', and 'archaic.'

(Not a slam on EMTBs in general, but it's been my experience that many 'B' proctors are very uppity, arrogant, and are in that position as a favor, not because they're the best fit.)

And if you follow Dwaynes advice, just be sure to book a room for your next sitting of the test. You will fail the test if you use his test taking skills, but be assured that he was fully joking when he wrote this.

Amen to that. Although I thankfully didn't experience this, many of the people from my class who tested with me got at least one proctor on a power-trip.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.