Personal D Tank in NYC

miscusi

Hi Guys,

Ebay has brand new empty CGA 870 D tanks for around 50 bucks shipped.

I am going to buy one for my home emergency kit. ( you never know, love thy neighbor and etc )

I have an EMT-B cert.

I have never filled a tank before.

Where in or near New York City can I have a personal D tank filled?

and how much can I expect to pay ?

Why not use your skewed sense of ethics and just have it filled at the EMS Service you work for, I mean since cheating is ok in your book wouldn't it be ok for you to just fill it at your company?

• Like 1

You have a linweld close by? We fill our own small tanks off our big ones. If I had a personal one for ems responses in our area, I am sure my service would allow me to fill off the tank we use.

But in all seriousness, just go to your boss, tell him that you are purchasing one for personal use and ask him if you could fill it. Im sure you aren't going to be emptying it very often right?

If you fill it more than once a year, then he might get suspicious that you are providing oxygen to people who you should not be giving oxygen to. And how often will you be using the personal oxygen tank and how often are you faced with the need to use it?

Whose license will you operating under when you use it?

THIS. Oxygen is technically a drug and you need orders for it. How will you properly store this in your home? Will you place the appropriate signs stating there is oxygen on site??? You're in NYC...what situation would you be in that you have time to go grab this huge heavy tank, bring it to your "patient" location, and administer it when EMS is probably seconds away?? Unless NYC is becoming like DC and EMS units are unavailable for critical patients ...

http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/23508351/sick-toddler-taken-to-hospital-on-dc-ladder-truck

This just seems like such an awful idea.

Edited by scubanurse

"I am going to buy one for my home emergency kit. ( you never know, love thy neighbor and etc "

Your home emergency kit is for YOU and your family. It's not for your neighbors or your home emergency kit becomes nothing more than a neighborhood emergency kit.

I have a home emergency kit, it's set up to be able to treat my family and extended family if need arises. That family includes myself, my wife, my 3 kids and my dog. My extended family includes my parents and my wifes parents and no-one else.

Each other extended family member has their own emergency kit.

I am NOT about to provide any of my emergency supplies to a neighbor or stranger in a disaster situation because the stuff I use on those people takes one more thing away from my family in that disaster and that's just not going to happen.

Now if I (or you for extension) feel altruistic and want to set up a 2nd emergency kit for "others" then by all means do that but the family emergency kit is for family only.

And trust me, once people know you are an EMT and you have an emergency kit, they will be banging on your door wanting help. Best you keep your emergency kit hidden until needed or you will find that it will likely be taken by someone stronger and better armed than you.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.