NREMT Help Please....

To any and all who can help. I am a Paramedic in the state of Iowa. I have been certified for 5 years and until july working in the field actively. Due to the "transition" I have to take a NREMT Paramedic exam to get to the NREMT P cert that is supposedly national. I need help I have a total of 6 attempts and I have already used 3 tries and if I dont get it passed with in the next 3 tries I will have to retake the whole class to get qualified to attempt the exam again. I would love input on how or what anyone else who has passed the NREMT has used and where to get it. I am Literally getting desperate, It has gotten to the point that I am starting to doubt my abilities and my knowledge in this field. Help Please.

I literally talked to myself while going over all of the practical exam sheets. As for the written exam, I bought a couple of books, took numerous practice exams until I felt I couldn't shove anymore information into my head. It took me twice to pass the practicals and twice for the written, but IT CAN BE DONE! Just keep going over it and over it and asking questions and looking things up. You can do it! And I'll tell you the same thing I told my wife when she took her Certified ER Nurse exam: Go with your gut. 9 times of 10, you will be right. She passed first time out. Hang in there, brother. You'll get it. I have to go through the NREMT testing again too cause I'm an idiot and let it go. :bonk:

http://www.idph.state.ia.us/ems/Transition.aspx?mode=EMT-P

Mike, he has to complete training, be able to answer all the questions listed on the application in the link and then pass the nremt. He must have the training done to be already taking the computer based test. So I am guessing it is just the computer based test itself???

Edited by MariB

• 1 month later...

There are lot of sites that offers practice computer tests. Learning Express, a free program available through your library, offers a lot of materials for EMT and paramedic study. You might look there for help.

I believe Kaplan makes a pretty good study guide. Look it up. I have the EMT one but not the medic. I was using it with helping a co-worker pass the NREMT and he passed his third attempt after failing the first two dismally. It's a good guide..

I failed my first attempt. I then used John Puryear's audio files. He gives great ways to help you remember the info. He also does on-line refresher courses that you may benefit from. I passed on my second attempt. Good luck.

This. I failed my NREMT-P with 150 questions my first attempt. I then took the Jon Puryear's 16 hour NREMT prep course and passed it the 2nd time with less than 90 questions.

It's only $60 IIRC.

• 2 months later...

I recently posted something about the Fisdap test. For those who pass it, there is a 90% first-time pass rate for the NREMT, which is damn impressive. It's not an NREMT-specific study package, but are you going to argue with a 90% first-time pass rate? The proof is there in black and white.

Now, I'm just an EMT-B, but they also have an agency-administered test as well as a study package for paramedics which includes a practice test which is as tough as the real test as I had to take to qualify for an agency three times last year (at different agencies, I mean). It also analyzes your weaK areas and gives helpful feedback and such. They also have a Fisdap podcast hosted by EMTs and EMT-Ps which has a lot of helpful study tips and strategies.

Other than that, I'll tell you what I told the other students in my class when they whined about how tough the studying was: Work harder. No sugar coating it. You don't stop wrestling with the 500 pound gorilla when YOU get tired, you stop when IT gets tired. I know BTW you're not whining, but what I told them applies to your situation and I hope my advice helps. I know thsi last oen may sound corny, but find and print out Vince Lombardi's famous inspiratiojnal speech about persistence. You'll see persistence, not brains, talent or anything else is what wins the game more consistently than any other pesronal trait in life.

I once saw a History Channel documentary about somethingorother wherein an English pilot who fought in the Battle of Britain was discussing how the Brits won that one. He said "When you believe in what you are doing................you are twice as strong."

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.