NYS emt cert with felony conviction

gerald Jones

Anyone with advice. I was convicted of 2 E felony DWI's one in 2005 the other 10 2012. I was given 6 mos in jail. ( terrible Lawyer )

I have no other convictions or no criminal record. I am a disabled Veteran at 40%, there is a VA program that will pay 100% of my EMT course. I have experience riding with 2 volunteer corps. I really want to pursue even to paramedic. I have almost completed 30 credits of Physician Assistant and could finish RN assoc in less than a yr. I hope to combine these. Is it impossible to get my EMT

cert and should I not waste my time ? Please some sound advice.

I'm calling shenanigans on this one. There's just too much that seems wrong about this.

In an attempt to give the benefit you the benefit of the doubt:

If you have two felony DUIs on your record, the most recent being less than a year old you're going to be lucky to be allowed to start your clinical year of PA school (if you really are in PA school).

If you manage to obtain EMT or even paramedic certification your chances of getting hired with two felony DUI convictions on your record are slim to none. As much of being an EMS provider includes driving insurance companies won't cover you. If you can't drive then you can't get hired.

Sound advice? Stop drinking. Find something else that interests you and pursue that.

And as an aside, it wasn't the lawyer's fault you got six months in jail.

• Like 1

Other than the obvious issue with the DWI I would think you should question if you are capable of physically doing the job. You mentioned you are 40% disabled, I don't know exactly what that means but maybe you should question that as well.

I will thank you for your service and seriously suggest you find a different line of work in lieu of the DWI's. You may also consider seeking counseling for the drinking.

• Like 1

As others have said: Get some counseling from the VA for your issues with alcohol use/ abuse and possible ptsd.

Most states will not allow you to take the course orissue an EMS license with 2 felony charges on your record.

We have a full NCIC background check every time we renew our license, including a full criminal history. You will be asked when you apply for the course and they will check.

With a pair of DWI's not even the evil empire would hire you, if you could get a license.

• Like 1

I think there are several parts to the OP's question that need to be answered/addressed separately. As for what you should do in regards to your future field, none of us can answer that but YOU need to figure out what it is you want to do. DO NOT try to go to RN and PA school. You are wasting one. If you want to be an RN, be an RN. If you want to be a PA, be a PA. Getting your EMT/Medic in addition to RN or EMT is a fine idea but will not get you much more in your current location. SBU staffs the SCPD helicopter and all of them are medics, no nurses. Your chances of getting on the helicopter depends on who you know and I can almost guarantee you will not get on it will DWI convictions. You will more than likely not be able to get a job with FDNY or any of the NYC hospital services. Some of the privates on the island might hire you with your convictions but since on LI EMTs are a penny a dozen, your chances are very slim.

You also asked if you will be able to get your EMT cert. The answer is, most likely. Here is a link to the NYS EMS policy on certification for people with felony convictions.

http://www.health.ny.gov/professionals/ems/policy/09-05.htm

It says to refer to Part 800 which lists the specific felonies which are disqualifying, and surprisingly, DWI is not on there. You do need to let your instructor know that you have a felony conviction and then things will be assessed from there. Here is the Part 800 (search for the word 'conviction' on the page to get to the relevant part).

http://www.health.ny.gov/professionals/ems/part800.htm

Your best bet is to contact the state and find out what there process is. You should also talk to others at the 2 vollies you are with. There are probably a few that work for the privates and can tell you what their experience is.

As others have said, it sounds like you need to get some help with your drinking problem. Do it as soon as possible.

• Like 1

Yeah your lawyer wasn't bad, you were.

But that's beside the point.

Get the drinking under control if you haven't already started those steps.

Don't touch another drop and for freaking gods sake don't get in a car even if you've smelled alcohol.

I am surprised that you can get a professional license with a felony conviction but maybe they can.

And you need to really realize that what you did was wrong and that you have learned from it but to blame your lawyer for getting 6 months in jail instead of blaming yourself, that's poor form old fella and I don't like that.

There is a growing movement to have a ban the box which is removing the felony conviction box yes or no on job applications so guess what people, you may in the future be working next to a murderer or rapist or some other person who has a felony conviction because these ban the box campaigns want to make it to where convictions don't matter and in a case like this, I say they do.

Honest question for the OP, do you even recognize that what you did was wrong and that you need help with your drinking. FELONY DWI is pretty freaking serious.

• 3 weeks later...

I think it's admirable that you're trying to make something of yourself with a career in medicine.

That being said, even a volunteer agency is unlikely to accept you (my agency for example will NOT accept anyone with any felony record). Even if you do find an agency, they would be HIGHLY unlikely to let you drive the ambulance.

I think you may need to consider another career choice. I'm not trying to put you down, but EMS is just unlikely to work in your particular situation.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.