On This Solemn Day

uglyEMT

Sitting here in my work trailer looking out the window at the New York Skyline listening to the names being read in the back ground and remembering what happened 12 years ago. Today is always a hard day for me and I know for countless others as well.

Just wanted to thank everyone for their service.

Sometimes we forget how we touch lives and just what our actions can do for people. Even if not directly acting upon someone we touch lives. Be it seeing a smile on a face that adds a glimmer of sunshine to someones cloudy day, a shoulder for someone to cry on, or just an ear to bend. We all touch lives.

Please remember those that perished and those that were left behind to hold the burden.

Stay safe everyone.

Edited by uglyEMT
  • Like 1

I don't know all the EMS names.

Carlos Lillo, Paramedic, FDNY EMS Command. *

Richard Pearlman, EMT, Forest Hills Volunteer Ambulance Corps.

Ricardo Quinn, Paramedic Lieutenant (Posthumously Promoted), FDNY EMS Command.

Mark Schwartz, EMT, assistant manager, Hunter Ambulance/Ambulette Service.

There were at least 2 more from New York Presbyterian/Weill-Cornell Hospital EMS, operating under the NYC 9-1-1 system.

Several Volunteer EMTs and Paramedics were at, or in, the Trade Center, working their "Day Jobs". EMT Pearlman was working his day job, but responded to the scene.

You can stand down, now, my brothers and sisters in the Emergency Services who perished. We have it from here.

*My classmate, New Employee Orientation Program class 85-02, NYC Health and Hospitals Corporation EMS

Edited by Richard B the EMT

On this day, 12 years ago, I was a staff sergeant in the Army, training future leaders and officers on the day we were attacked. For several hours, I was the only one on the range that new the horrendous events were happening. I alone was the one that had to break the news to the officers, some of which were from Saudi Arabia, Lebanon, and Jordan, that terorists had flown planes full of innocent civilians into the Twin Towers and the Pentagon. I watched the horror on their faces as they realized this great nation had be attacked on our own soil. And I watched the total fear of the Middle Eastern officers, wondering if they were ever going to see their homelands again. And I watched an American officer, whose father worked in the towers, not knowing whether his father made it out alive or not (he did, by the Grace of God!), stand next to him and tell him "You didn't do this. We know who did, but it's not you." Honor amongst brothers-at-arms stood proud that day.

Today, as I have a quiet day off from my life as a medic, husband and father, I think back to those friends that fought for this country, gave part of themselves, or sacrificed it all for the country they took the oath to defend. While I mourn their loss, I honor their courage and dedication and I will never forget that, while we may be a little stained and jaded today, we are still the greatest nation on the face of the Earth, willing to fight for the rights of freedom and liberty, and to defend those that cannot. God bless all of those lost to the attacks of September 11th, 2001 and to the Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, Marines, and Coast Guard personnel that fight everyday to keep us free. And God bless the families of those brave men and women of FDNY, NYPD and the Port Authority that lost their lives to save the lives of those in the Towers.

God Bless the United States of America!

To all of our brothers & sisters who gave their all that fateful day: We will never forget the sacrifices you made.

To all the innocents who were murdered by terrorist: Rest in peace

To Joe Delucca & Linda Grunlund who went down on flight 93 in Shanksville while taking the aircraft away from the terrorists: We miss you every day,

thank you for your selfless dedication to stopping them from their mission of taking your flight into a building in DC.

I am working today and went to an FFA program at the high school as directed by my supervisor. At said program there were reserved seats for fire departments and our sheriffs office, but not for EMS. Now, I wasn't really looking forward to going in the first place, but I can't help but feel slightly bothered that EMS wasn't recognized at all. There were many paramedics and EMT's that lost their lives that day. Some of them are still suffering the after effects from that day. Am I wrong to be a little peeved?

Re the disrespect of not identifying EMS as also victims of the 9-11 attack, when reading the names at the World Trade Center, WCBS HDTV 2 identified Carlos and Ricardo as Fire Fighters. FDNY doesn't use cross trained FF-EMTs or FF-Paramedics.

PD- The Finest

FD- The Bravest

SD- The Strongest

EMS- The Forgotten

I know what you mean by the lack of respect we usually get. I think it comes from ignorance mostly, thinking all EMS is fire based.