Working in ems with a nystagmus ?

emtbasic13

Hi are there any emt or medics out there who have a nystagmus or work with someone who has one ?

I was formally registered as a emt and wanted to get re-certified, but I have a nystagmus known as dancing eye syndrome. And wanted to know would this stop me from getting a job in ems. My vision is a 20/80, but I have prescription contacts that make it a 20/40 but but still nearsighted. I can legally drive a car and have no other vision problems. I was just wondering if anyone has any experience or knowledge of working in ems with this condition.

I know a paramedic who has nystagmus AND bowed limbs from a childhood meningitis infection. He's fantastic. As long as you know your own limitations and are aware of what you need as far as compensation (from your partner or company) you're good to go...

Wendy

CO EMT-B

RN-ADN

Hell there's a Denver Paramedic with an above the elbow amputation I think. I saw her once in an ER and she seemed to be a damn fine medic.

Correction: Denver EMT and she's an ER tech now... So I'm pretty sure a nysgamus won't be a big deal.

Edited by scubanurse

Scuba- she's actually married to a friend of mine! Born that way... and she's FANTASTIC. ;-)

You'd never know she only had one hand till you go to shake her hand... she's a lefty.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

RN-ADN

I know of the following medics who work with the following disabilities

no names but disability types

stuttering

vision impairment

cochlear implants

above elbow amputee

paralyzed below nipple line (ER tech)

Paralyzed below nipple line (ER Doctor)

Obese emt -( ER tech) - several of those

Hand amputee

Bilat leg amputee - soldier

These are EMt's and medics and nurses and doctors who all have overcome their disabilities to be extremely fine providers in their own right. They know their limitations and don't go beyond them.

You should take a note of their stories.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.